Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I move my axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Taylor, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Need some quick opinions, should I move my axel back an inch? I just finished putting in my shackle flip and new springs and it does look like it’s a little more forward then it was…I think:confused: Just want to get this right before I order my new driveshaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

If you're gonna do it, do it now...if your brake lines etc...are long enough, go for it!

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I would have to say yes on moving the axle back 1 inch. Are the springs going the correct way? alot of springs have a ft and a rear which will put the align pin in different position. Good to see another person from Colorado are you going to hit some trails this summer with the colo crew?

4. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I was thinking the same. The springs should be fine, I measured before I put them on they were the same distance form each end to the cernter pin. Probably just a side effect of the flip + 3' springs + SuperShackel's. So in with the zero rate and out w/ the overload spring!

I'll be hitting the trails for sure, my web weeling days will soon be over!!!

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Leave the axle... hack the body. :D

But yeah... that's the only real down side to a shackle flip.

6. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I would have to say yes to that also

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I would move it back. When you do a shackle flip it pushes the springs down which moves the axle forward slightly. to make it close to centered in the wheel well, move it back an inch.

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Please school me on moving the axle back. What's involved? I am ordering the DIY shackle flip next week.

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

moving it back with a zero rate usually. OR, you can order the spring perches from DIY that have 3 holes in them so you can move the axle and not lift the truck anymore.

www.offroaddesign.com www.jkwoffroad.com and some other sites carry zero rates.

These are the DIY spring perches- [​IMG]
    These do involve removal of the old perches and welding these on.

10. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Easier than I thought. Thanks.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, i would move the axle back at least 1.5".

I am just finshing up some rear axle work. I installed a shackle flip several years ago though and ended up moving the axle back 1.5" to get the wheels much closer to center. What i am just finishing up is new superlift rear springs, new home made (maybe not so much home made but rather CNC made at my buddy's shop) spring perches with a 1" offset hole, and i flipped my springs around backwards since the center pins were 1" off from center. I will now have my rear axle 1" further back from stock. In my case the shackle flip moved the axle forward 1" of stock but the axle in stock form sat forward by about 1/2".

12. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Thanks Scott, I going to try moving it 1.5" back. Is there any side effects to the shocks after moving the axle back? I'm still using the stock mounting locations, so I would guess after moving the axel back one shock will be compresed more then the other, and they will also be working at different angle's, hopefully not enough to be an issue.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I cut my fenders to make the axle be in the center of the wheel well but I will be flipping my 56s backwards to push my rear back as far as I can go and not get into my gas tank:D.

Ira

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That's my plan too, Ira. I should be getting to it the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'll post up how it goes.

Taylor, I woud definitely move the axle back. You can redrill the perches and spring plates to do it. As far as shocks, if you have the equipment, I'd recommend making your own inboard shock kit with some angle and new perches. I'm going to mount my shock tabs right on top of the axle tubes.

Hope to see you on some trails. I'll add you to my trail run notification list for next year. :deal:

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you move your axle back 1.5" it will only be sitting 1/2" back from stock location and shocks won't be an issue.

16. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

Just finished it up, ended up moving back 1.5" and it looks way better, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!

mrk5 - Thanks for adding me to your trail ride list, looking forward to it!

17. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

Thats the way to do it!

And do away with the single shear setup the factory seemed to think was so good. Double shear always!

18. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

another hijack, when you move the axle back, does it require a new driveshaft length or does it slip out of the trans?? i plan on this hopefully after the pick n pull half off sale! but probably much later.

19. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It would all depend on the lift and a few other factors.

20. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well i have the 6 lift already, blocks. i want the 4 inch flip with a two inch lift spring, maybe longer springs? and i want to try and take care of the front while im at it, and an axle swap w/ discs. oh boy $$$$