Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Should I or shouldn't I", is the question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Dec 2, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

\"Should I or shouldn\'t I\", is the question

Im in the fianl stages of installing the front springs of a 4" skyjacker. After replacing everything else I encounter in the process, I took the sway bar off to facilitate me trying to line Sh*t up and turn and wrench at the same time. what I want to know is, would it be better for me to leave it off on my first test run around the neighborhood, or should I install it? Plus I got new ball joints, so this is going to be a whole new feel for me to get use to. Cause I dont know what its supposed to feel like. I am a virgin, this is my first lift. So I'm still in the process of my first fu**ing Im getting from the problem gods. LOL!

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

2. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Re: \"Should I or shouldn\'t I\", is the question

I currently have my swaybar off and have been driving with it off. The feel is a lot looser in the front. When turning the blazer isn't near as stable, but that I guess is to be expected. The ride is a little softer though because the swaybar isn't binding up becasue of the increased lift. I also have a 4" lift, but I bought it with that so I don't know the difference. I'm waiting for some replies to me post so i can install the ORD swaybar disconnect kit I purchased since i've heard a lot of good things about it. Good Luck.

Mich89k5

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

that is where Im planning on going to. But I have opted for the shade tree version for now to cut down on spending. Just leave them connected for the street ride and just before I go wheeling I check all the fluid levels and disconnect them and retain them with a bungy chord.

4. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

i took my swaybar off befor i did my lift and now with the xtra 4" of lift and the 35's i don't see any difference

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Are you running 10 bolts for those 35's? If so, how long you been running that way or have you had any problems ?

6. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

my 74 handles no different without the sway bar but im almost posotive its cause of the ranco 5ooos. i have a 4" lift and 35s...... my 83 sb truck had the bar disconnected ans there was a huge difference in body roll though...

7. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Try running without them for a week and see how you like it. When I took mine off I thought it was horrible on the highway the first day I ran it. The next day I had forgotten that I even had taken them off. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it.

David 75K5
    http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I found that with the lift the sway caused a bumpsteer problem that drove me nuts. If your going to run it then get the ORD disconnects. My 75 is Trail only not a daily so I just left the thing off. it's rusting with several other parts that became usless when it became trail only. Just take it easy if you do leave it off till you get use to it. It will have a lot of lean that will catch you off gard. If I drive my wifes stock 79 with At's and the sway and hop in my 75 and try to drive it the same way it feels like it's going to fall over.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the "shadetree" disconnect as well, left it hooked up for the street and unbolted and bungee corded it for the trail. The first trip went great, but afterwards I forgot to re-connect my swaybar. That was 2 years ago, and I just recently unbolted the whole works and chucked it in the back-yard [​IMG]. I have 4" Rancho springs in the front and run 35" tires, and either I got used to it real fast or the front springs are stiff enough to control the body lean because I never noticed much of a difference on the street. Now my truck is 23 lbs lighter in the front![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]