Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I or Shouldnt I ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Aug 13, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

OK. I am rebuilding my D60 and 14bff. Have the D60 down to just the bare housing. The 14b is next. I was planning on having them sandblasted to get all of the rust/crap off of them so I could put a descent rattle can job on that would look descent. I called a couple sandblasting shops and they said they charge $90-$95 an hour. ALOT more than I was expecting. I could buy a blaster kit for $50-150 and do it myself and deal with the mess (which isnt that big of a deal)

My question (FINALLY[​IMG])is this. I called a powder coating place, because I know they do sand blasting. I talked with the guy for a while and he says they have a minimum of $125 and to sandblast and powder coat the axle and any small parts I want to throw in (knuckles etc.) he would have to charge me the minimum. So from what I got from him it would be under $200 to do both housings.

So do you think its worth the extra $$ to have them powder coated. I've had stuff done before, but just for street use, nothing that would need to take offroad abuse. So I asked just how strong and durable this stuff is and if it would hold up to rocks and such with out chipping. He said I'd have to bash it on something pretty hard. He said it wont chip it'll just get scratched or like a gouge mark. I asked if he has anything to prove it. He told me I could hit it with a ball peen hammer and nothing will happen [​IMG][​IMG]
    Sooooo, what I think I will do is have him make me up a swatch or disk coated and I'll go over there with a hammer and see how strong it is, or tie a piece onto a stirng/rope and drag it under my truck on the way to work and see how it holds up[​IMG]
    What do you all think..........
    If you've never dealt with powder coating before, the stuff comes in any color, supposedly strong as hell, and it cleans off EASY like a newly waxed finish....

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dang! I already replied to your PM before reading this post! [​IMG]

Again, I would buy the higher dollar blaster, not these cheaper ones.

I dont see why not go to the powder coating process. I have heard the same stuff you heard too. Would last longer and is stronger than regular paint. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Why not see if your local machine shop can hot tank them? They would come out alot cleaner. Just depends if thier hot tank is big enough.

Keep it simple!

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

True, but hot tanking will only remove grease and other crud. It will not remove rust as good as a sandblaster will.

I prefer hot tanking to clean the internals of the housings, parts, etc.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Will powder coating be tougher than a few coats of Por-15?

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man I paid a couple kids (and the front D44 was nasty!) to grab some wire brushed and go after it...

cost me about 20 bucks, and then put a couple coats of rustolem on em! I'm sure it wasn't quite as nice as sand-blasted, but it was a LOT cheaper.

after all this is just on my off-road k5 that is gonna get scratched up anyway so I wasn't gonna go with something expensive.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I've never dealt with POR-15. The powder coating is a like a ceramic coating baked into the metal.
    I should probably just paint them, but its just so tempting while everything is apart to make it look nice. I just dont want to spend the money and have it chip off right away. I dunno, I'll have to think about it somemore I guess, since no one has really convinced me one way or the other................

8. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I have a set of powder coated bumpers and they have not chipped at all in the past 3 years, but they have faded pretty bad.

I'm a sheet slitter, I slit sheets, I'm the best sheet slitter, to ever slit a sheet

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option is to just get your angle grinder (if ya got one [​IMG]) and wire wheels and go at it. Took me quite a while to get the D60 done but once cleaned it was in great shape............and if you look at my site, you can see how rusty the thing was to begin with.

THEN a buddy that did all the rebuild of internals and added the Detroit told me a good trick for the painting part of the project to make sure it sticks.............use a blowtorch on the bare metal to drive/dry out the moisture present in it..........you can actually see it leaving the metal..............then you paint it right away. Mine has been done for 3 months now and the paint is in great shape. I haven't bashed mine on rocks or anything but for a low cost re-new I am very happy with this method.

If you can justify paying the $200 (which very well might be worth it) go for the powder coating. Seems it is a better and tougher finish than regular paint.

Good luck whatever you do................

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Powder coating doesn't last, especially when you smack your axle on a rockor something the thing will chip, then rust will happen, then the rest of it will peel off b/c of the rust. Trust me. I wouldn't pay to have it sand blasted or powder coated.
    If you buy a sandblaster than fine. But if not, like the other guy said, get an angle grinder and put on a wire wheel and go to down. You may also want to get smaller wire wheels for your drill for the smaller/ harder to get to places. That's what I did and got to bare metal on both my axles. It takes a little time, but saves you $$ and does an awesome job.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can see cleaning them off, but I don't understand the point of painting an axle...is it for aesthetics, or are you worried about rust, which is inconsequential on the axle housing?

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

12. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

with por-15 you don't have to clean the rust off, it bonds to the rust and creates and enamel like coating. www.por-15.com i think...
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<a target="_blank" href=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</a>

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just do what I do, allow your motor to leak oil all over it to keep it from rusting.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is what I was thinking and I've decided against spending the money on the powder coating, after all its not a show truck or anything. I would hate to do it and have it chop and rust them have to touch up the p.c. with the ol' rattle can and look like @ss.
    I'm curious about the POR-15, I'll look into it. If not I'll just rattle can it. Thanks guys, what was I thinking[​IMG]

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

good point!![​IMG].....man you have a solution for everthing!

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn...I thought I was the only one that went for that "wet look" [​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

17. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Get it powder coated. I'm having my entire body coated right now and that stuff is tough. I had a sample piece (a steel plate) coated a while ago and whacked it REALLY hard with a ball peen hapmmer and it didn't chip or flake at all, it just bent with the metal. I also had a piece coated 4 yrs ago and left it out in the elements and it still looks like the day I brought it home. Just make sure the surface is prepped well and oil/dirt free, but the powdercoaters should take care of that.

18. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Get it powder coated. I'm having my entire body coated right now and that stuff is tough. I had a sample piece (a steel plate) coated a while ago and whacked it REALLY hard with a ball peen hammer and it didn't chip or flake at all, it just bent with the metal. I also had a piece coated 4 yrs ago and left it out in the elements and it still looks like the day I brought it home. Just make sure the surface is prepped well and oil/dirt free, but the powdercoaters should take care of that.

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Looks like you already made your decision, but I was going to second the opinion that powder coating will eventually come off and rust. I have powder coated bumpers, and they have a few scratches that have rusted but mostly just oxidized (real bad). But I also have nerf bars that are powder coated. When I was under it this weekend, I noticed that the bottoms of them are seriously rusted. The coating had chipped off from being drug over rocks and from things flying back from the tires. Then, rust. Once it rusts, it just startes to come off in sheets.

For my axles, I simply cleaned the gunk off with wire wheels and sprayed them with Rustoleum. Looks great, nice and clean and cheap too. Somethign else you might do to give it a nice look even though it isn't a show truck. On your diff bolts, make sure there is no paint on them (with your wire wheel). Then, cover the heads of the bolts with silicone. Spray paint your axle. Once it is dry, clean off the silicone. It will give you a nice black coating to your axle while leaving the heads of the bolts shiny and clear of paint. It's a look that I think is pretty cool.

Just my .02

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

20. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but do you think it will hold up against bashing against the rocks and stuff? Got any pics of our coated truck? What about if it does chip them the rust starts, like Boss said? Have you done any other "tests" to check the durability?
    I have no doubts about it being stronger than paint, but dragging against stuff is kind of questionable. On the body panels, it wont get that much contact as much as the axles will..... I'd like to see pics of your truck though, sounds cool.....
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 08/14/01 12:30 PM.</FONT></P>