Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Jul 8, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Should I or Shouldn\'t I?

I've wanted a big Blazer ever since I can remember. A few weeks ago I noticed one of the local lots had a Jimmy that was in decent looking shape. So I checked it out. It's an 83 with the 6.2. The body is straight, there is only one quarter panel with a little rust, very little Bondo anywhere, the interior is in good shape, the rear window works (which blew my mind). I took it for a test drive. It starts up easily, goes when I tell it to, but it's belching black smoke under load. My wife says the truck disappeared when I gassed it. I know this could be the air filter. I don't have a lot of cash to be getting things rebuilt. I shifted it into 4 low and hi and they both work. The guy only wants 2995 for. What do you think? The engine compartment was spotless, wasn't spray painted and I think this truck has been babied. It only has 90,000 miles. It's got the High Sierra package. I plan on pulling the air filter to see how bad it looks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Should I or Shouldn\'t I?

Hey there,

Let me tell you this...I had wanted a fullsize JIMMY or
    Blazer so badly for about 10 years and where I come from they are rarely in good condition and to find a diesel one is next to impossible I personally have only seen 4 different ones in the past 12 years and I stumbled on mine on the internet on a local trucks for sale thing and there it was...The Jimmy of my dreams, a black 89 full trim package SLE model with all the mouldings and chrome ..etc
    and it had a 6.2L DIESEL....so I freaked ...I called the guy thinking it was surely sold and to my astonishment it wasnt ,so I made my appointment to see the truck the next day and when I got there I almost died when I saw it. So I ended up buying it after all the testing and checking and let me tell you that I personally will never own a gasser again in a truck. Diesel are great and if you maintain em well they repay you back with reliability. Check the fuel filter as well as the air filter. And pretty much all 6.2L that I know of all smoke black when under hard acceleration.
    Great Trucks! And ALWAYS use STANADYNE PERFORMANCE FORMULA mixed in the fuel all year around you will not regret it at all and as far as oil goes change oil often and use ROTELLA T 15-40 from SHELL these things to follow to have a long lasting diesel engine. ENJOY!
    Mike
    <font color="black"> </font color> /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mike! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I have three blazers, two gassers, and MY diesel. I have to say the diesel is the most reliable engine made, if maintained right! I have owned my diesel for almost six months and though it's not as glorios as Mike's, it's MY baby! The wife loves to drive it although her's is a lot more Bad A$$ then mine as the offroad setup goes.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif But my diesel gets anywhere between 22-24 MPG when I'm in the city or on the road traveling! About the smoke, under hard acceleration, they all blow black. I believe it's due to what is called a CBR valve in the Military(OH, I'm a Humvee Mech, so I work on these daily!) It's the crankcase breather valve that sits on the top toward the front of the engine! It's round and has a hose running strait to the oil filler cap. A lot of people never change these, DUH, because I believe they're hard to find at any old parts store. Change IT! What it does is regulates crankcase pressure and allows the air in the engine to circulate and breath. You don't want a sealed crankcase or you would blow seals at high temps, Diesels are HIGH temp alone! Thus, as you step on it, you create a large amount of heat, preasure, and circulation inside your engine. With a bad CBR valve, it lets oily air right into your engine bypassing the filter and burning inside your combustion chamber! Thus BLACK smoke! I also suggest changing the oil and filters(Two Fuel and One Air) If and when you buy it. AS for the oil and additives, I've never ran additives, and the only thing I do is run DIESEL injector cleaner twice a year! This cleans your injectors and keeps them from getting cloged, poor gas milage and forced maintance on new injectors! $25-$50 an injector! OUCH /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif About oil, First thing First, Normal Oil IS: NORMAL OIL!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif A lot of people have their preferances, but oil is oil! change it more often and be happier then anything else, that's what's important. Maintance is Key! Synthetic on the other hand has it's ups and downs, but don't go their unless you want to put it in everytime you change it from now on out!!!! If you want more info on oil, PM me, I'm using up your post, Sorry! Anyways, DIESELS ROCK! You can't go wrong! If the truck is clean, not just washed but CLEAN! then I suggest it anyday!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You'll love the diesel, you can't go wrong with one!

4. 4x4dreamer

All very good points, and I love how excited people on this board get about their trucks. My only obstacle is the wallet and the wife. We are almost finished paying off our first car and aren't sure we want to start that business again (granted, it's only for a little while). The wife thinks the truck stinks. I told her, "that's diesel baby". My dad drives a 95 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel, so I know all about the smell and noise of them. Her big fear is that we'll buy it, and then something expensive will break right away. Especially because of the black smoke. I'll probably end up printing out these posts to show her to put her mind at ease. My favorite thing to tell her? "This truck reaks of testosterone!!" We'll find out shortly if I get it or not.
    Thanks for the input, if anybody else has any or just wants to hype up the diesel crowd some more, I'd love to hear it.
    Maybe I won't be 4x4 dreamin' much longer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I also wanted to add that I think it's great and surprising that I didn't get a thousand responses asking where it was... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Thanks again

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

She'll get used to the smell! My wife said the exact same thing when I looked at mine at first. Now I can't get her to drive the car!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif !!! The smell goes awy quickly! It's kind of like that smell when you first walk into your new naigbors place, kind of odd! But after you visit for awhile and get to know them, you become accustomed to it really easily! I might be a little biased cause I'm a diesel Mech, but my wife sure hated it when I first got it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. 4x4dreamer

I think it smells Manly...She has always wanted a Hummer, so I told her today that they used this engine in the Hummers for a long time. I don't think she is opposed to us getting it, we just have to work it out financially, things are tight right now. I hate waiting....

7. 4x4dreamer

I haven't read a whole lot on brakes. Are the stock brakes on these beasts very powerful? The ones I've driven felt a little soft. Has anyone experimented with upgrades to the braking system?
    Does anybody else have good reasons why I should buy this truck? I may need ammo when it comes to justifying the cost...

Thanks

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I own a Diesel Blazer. When I found it I had not one clue about Diesels or how they really worked. I didn't buy the thing for a good 3 months. Finally I went and bought it. It smoked like a [censored]. Drove it home and I knew it was mine. I got in touch with the people at The Diesel Page and I had a wealth of info.
    I bought a few books and they told me more that I need to know.
    Now about reliability of Diesels. I will point out the Midwest Spring K5 Thing. 1 Lake + 1 STOCK K5 = hydrolock. The Diesel kept going after it was drained of the water it ingested. I have blown one engine, and I wasn't driving it at the time. I was helping a FORMER friend move and he drove my Blazer and I drove my S10. I arrived at his place. He didn't. I went back to find him and all I could see were black marks and fluids everywhere. He gunned it and took out the heads and broke the block to shreds. I bout shot the [censored]. I went and found another Diesel engine.
    Fuel mileage is great. You will start to be pissed when people say how much GAS milege do you get. I say I don't get very good gas mileage...I get great Diesel mileage. Read about these people with 350s and 305s getting piss poor mileage. With the Diesel you will get grand numbers.
    Pulling power. I haven't found anything that I can't pull with my Blazer...and I had 3.08 gear ratios!!!
    Braking...well...the brakes are good on the standard 1/2 ton, but I switched to 3/4 ton after I shredded lots of axle parts. The reason I shredded parts...DIESEL TORQUE!!
    When you go to buy it use the black smoke to get the guy down in price. After you get the Diesel....there ain't no going back.
    Rare, powerful, and live through almost anything. If you haven't picked up on it yet....GET THE DIESEL!!!

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ok Batman, Thats CDRV - Crankcase Depression Relief Valve. It maintains a slight vacume in the crancase, otherwise pressure builds and mainseals fail. But I think his problem maybe more to do with the EGR (C-motor) valve. Mine smoked like crazy on acceleration 'til disconnected it and tossed it in the trash. "not really sure why the EGRs do that, couldn't have came from the factory like that.

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I knew it was something like That! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Anyways, Mine ain't got that EGR crap and niether do Humvees! And when they blow black, We change the CDR Valve! It cures it usually 9 times out of 10! I do agree about that anoying EGR stuff though!!! Hey DieselDan, Mind if I PM you some questions on a custom Turbo setup I plan on building!? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 4x4dreamer

When I first saw the Jimmy on the lot, I walked up to it and saw the 6.2L on the back and was shocked. I've been looking at Blazers for years, but I didn't know they made a diesel. I talked to some people about it, including a friend who drives an International (he wishes he had a diesel instead of gasser he's got), they all said Diesel was cool for torque. I had always envisioned a built 350 in the Blazer I finally got. Then I surfed the web and came across this site. Looked at the message board and read the diesel section from 1st post to last, and was sold. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Especially when I read a certain story about a hydrolocked engine starting up after blowing out 6 litres of water!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif It looks like it might be the first part of August before we can buy this beast, so if it's still there, It's mine!! It's already been sitting there for 5 weeks, I think that people are turned off that Diesel costs more than the Mid-grade gas right now, but we know better /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I will probably be racking all your brains for info from time to time. The one question I have now is, this particular Jimmy has Auto Locking hubs...is that bad?

Thanks everyone. Keep the stories coming, I like hearing them.

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

It's stock!!!! you can change them later as money comes, I did! They're not BAD, but they do break, easier than others! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. OFFRDK5

I will say one thing though that is bad. The 700R4 behind a Diesel will turn into mush. Just tonight I was driving, no warning, and the tranny started sqealing. Fuild loooks great and is red. Don't know. But if it needs replaced I am getting a manual tranny no questions asked.

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Sk-15,
    I have a 700 behind my 83 and my wife's 87, and they have never given me any problems! How often do you change your fluid? I suggest every 50,000, but that doesn't mean everyone does it! I know a lot of people that just hate the 700, but I also know a lot more people that love it! No matter what, the life of any tranny is questionable and reliant upon every previous owner of the truck, not the tranny! I have racecar freaks I work with that swear up and down till your ears hurt that a turbo 350 tranny is stronger and better than a th400!!! Try passing that off on this board!!!! See what I mean!!! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

15. OFFRDK5

The fluid is red, not bright red...but I can see the red in it. Its not brown. The tranny has been worked on 3 times before. 2 were complete rebuilds and 1 was a simple line problem. The tranny shop is a big shop with lots of business, so I would think they would do it right.
    And I just got done calling them and they aren't able to get it in till next Monday /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

IS there any way to tell by looking at the truck (number of gears available on the shifter eg. D 3 2 1) which tranny is on a truck you might be looking to purchase. I know in 83 there were two available, and the 700 was more common on the diesels. Should I even be concerned about getting the other one?
    Thanks again.

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

If you got d 3 2 1 then it's a 700 all the other autos are D 2 1!!! SK-15, deos the fluid smell like it was burned!!!! Funny odor! If so, you might have a problem with your cooler!

18. OFFRDK5

Fluid is red and doesn't smell bad at all. The tranny shop took a quick drive, 3 feet, and said it was hte output shaft on the tranny...or was it the input on the t-case? Its right in that area. They were the ones that put it together last. And it doesn't have that many miles on it since it was in thier shop. Just got to see when they put it up what it could be.
    Thanks

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 83 6.2 has the factory 700r4 behind it and I tow in extreme mountainous terrain every summer. Maybe you had a bunch of bums rebuild your 700..... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Dreamer:

If you keep up on the maintenance, a 6.2 can easily last 500k. Add the longevity and the fuel mileage together and you're saving yourself money in the long run.

Make sure that you check that your heater controls switch from floor to vent to defrost. A diesel doesn't naturally produce vacuum, so your 6.2 will be equipped with a vacuum pump located in the same place as the distributor on a SBC. This pump powers your accessories(AC, vents, cruise). The pump is only available from the dealer and costs a bundle!!! So make sure that it works when you take her for another drive.

I also agree that you should use a quality diesel fuel additive(I use Stanadyne as well). The low-sulphur fuel available at the pumps doesn't have enough natural lubricant in it, and your injector pump seals can dry out as a result. The Stanadyne treatment also gives you a little more power and helps to disperse water.

Buy the diesel, brother!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif