Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 18, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Should I or shouldn\'t I?

As I mentioned in my last post I found a 205 at a local wrecker. They want $89 plus $10 core for it, I know it's good price, but my concern is compability. It is a 27 spline, I don't know anything about shaft length, so I'm wondering what trannies it will be compatible with.
    Is there any quick "test" to see if it's good? I imagine it's not junk, for cryin' out loud it's a 205![​IMG]
    Thanks.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Re: Should I or shouldn\'t I?

Male (sticking out of the case) or female (socket) input. If male, it matches the TH350, if female, it matches the TH400. I fergit which, but one of those is 27 and the other is some other high spline count. Hence the Q about input type.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The rear spline count for a standard is 10 spline, and I think the 27 spline is for a TH350. I think there is also a 32 spline output for the TH400 Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    When I went to look at mine before I bought it, I just moved the shift rails into the different ranges to make sure they moved freely. Then I rotated the input shaft and checked that each range worked properly by comparing rotation. For example in lo range both the front and rear outputs should be spinning at roughly half the speed of the input shaft. I checked each position this way. If it has the female input on the front of the case, turn the rear output shaft and watch the input shaft.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

A 205 for 89 plus core, the nerve of those people, where are they at so I can give them a piece of my mind....get the 205. I talked to Chris here at 4Wheel Parts and he said they can get the correct adapter for the transmission you want to hook up. I keep finding 205's here in OKC, but they are shipped in from the north and are nothing but rust, severe rust. The fine spline is for a TH350/700R4 (27 is considered fine) and the coarse spline is for the manual tranny. The TH 400 input has a larger bearing hole for the input shaft and if you plan on putting the 205 behind a TH400, then this will have to be milled out. The March 2000 issue of 4x4 Power (no longer in print, sniff) had a excellent special section titled Ultimate NP205 Guide (p 44). Same issue had the Blazers in the 4x4 Blueprinting. You know it would be a good idea to have this scanned or linked here for future reference.

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well I know it's a 27 spline, so far it looks like I can hook it up to a TH350 or 700r4. In which case I would go with the 700r4 (rebiult and beefed up) to get the OD. It'd be nice if I had the option to mate it to a TH400, is it possible to swap the 27 spline for a 32?
    Would that article be available on the web anywhere? I've never heard of 4x4 Power, do they have a website? Do you have a copy laying around? Thanks.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have about 4 issues of 4x4 power but don't have the one thats needed. I don't think tha they ever had a site. It was made by Petersen. You might wanna try this e mail mcgeet@petersenpub.com, but I doubt that it would work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]