Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I pick up this Willys Jeep?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 16, 2005.

?

What should I do with a '47 Willys

1. Turn around and sell it because I don't need more stuff

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Get it running and keep it all original

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Use it as an excuse to need another Dana 60 and put Chevy running gear in it

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Don't bother getting it

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Looks like I might be getting a '47 Willys Jeep this coming spring through a bunch of trading. It's all original with the 4cylinder, 3spd... who knows what T-case. Has some body damage, but it's complete minus the top. (oh, and I better add to the fact that if I get it, I'll be into it around a $500 trade value)

What should I do with it?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

well I say get it! I know you have a bunch of stuff but it would look vintage out there in your "pick-a-part" yard and it would be a cool addition to your collection:D

3. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

I think it is possible to have too many projects. Looks like you already have two hands full. To each his own.

4. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I voted for Turn around and sell it because I don't need more stuff :D

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

As it is, I have more than enough projects to keep me busy from now until I'm 95 years old working on vehicles only 5 days a week 8 hours a day from now till then.

If I did keep it, it would end up getting parked in the long-run lineup with the '55 Chevy Napco, '72 Jimmy, '74 Scout II, '68 Wagoneer, '70 Travelall, and '76 Buick Electra 4x4 projects.

Maybe I'll get it... get it running (without turning it into a big project), drive it around for a while the re-sell it later on and just be able to say I had a running Willys once.

6. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I vote don't bother with it because its not a fullsize Chevy.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

jeep ehh...

I've never been a huge fan of Jeeps..my best friend had one of every one they made at one time or another-- older CJ-5 's, CJ-6A,etc..seemed like once word got out he had one,and liked them,suddenly everyone with a dead Jeep out in the backyard was giving it to him to drag home for parts or to restore ..I think he had at least a dozen different ones over the 20 years I knew him, though only 5-6 at a time,not all at once..

Jeeps are great plow rigs for small driveways and parking lots,very manuverable..but heavy snow sometimes overtook his Jeep,and I'd have to plow his yard with my K-20..his Jeep didn't like the 8' blade he was using on it..Jeep was too light to push wet heavy snow with it!..the 258 ix was a decent motor though..his dad had a few "Hurricane" ??or Tornado??" 226 or 230 OHC sixes in J-20 Pickups..they were weird motors,in a world of their own!..:screwy:

I hated helping him fix them--always a dilema with driveshafts and U-joints during nearly every storm!..they had pencil thin shafts,look like 1"water pipe!..and those flanged rear axles with tapered keyways like a lawnmower crank were a nutcracker to get the drums off off ,to do brake jobs and wheel bearings too,even with the correct puller..they snapped pretty easy too..he broke several during bad storms..

To me,it seemed like we were ALWAYS fixing something on his jeep--brakes,U-joints,clutch,rear axle shafts..while my K-20 plowed all season without a whimper--just got more rust and blisters after each storm!..;) -
    he eventually bought a real nice 86 K20 in 1990..didn't use the 78 CJ-5 he had much after that..

I'd say get it,play with it awhile and then sell or trade it off.(it would make a good parts hauler and "get around the farm" vehicle--sort of like a 4x4 golf cart!--.those real early ones were not the easiest to get parts for.though,.and were not always as rugged as they show them in war movies on TV..they DO breakdown--they just never bothered to show us that part of the war..:rolleyes: ..

I'd say get rid of it before it became a headache,and you'll come out ahead..many guys would cream their jeans to get a older Jeep in nice shape..not me though!..:crazy:

8. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Send it over to the west side of the mountains to the Everett area, I'd like to have another one..

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I personaly like the old time Willey's. For a restoration tiem and money which you would have to decide, but for Jeep fanatics they would pay top dollar for a good piece. $500.00 start plus a few add on's to get it up and running could lead you to a good little profit:D . Also the enjoyment of driving around until you sell it.

The main question is are you willing to work on it and get it finished without it sitting around and rotting?

10. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i say get it, and keep it kinda stock (no d60's)

put it on 31s, lock the rear and call it done.
    if you're the kind of guy that can't leave something alone, then d44s and 33s. still lock the rear though.

it has an 80 wheelbase, you won't beleive the difference from a full size chevy.

you don't need as big a tire to go the same places.

personally, i'd love to have a flatty.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sell it to pewe at Petersons :D :D

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

put chevy drivetrain in it ;-)