Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I prime the pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dallin, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

My 350 has about 25,000 miles on it. It's been sitting for the last 8 months while I finished my latest project. Do I need to prime the oil pump before I fire it up again?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I would. D/C the coil and crank it for a little bit. Not too long or you could hurt yer starter.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I would, but I'm pretty particular about my engines. I would change the oil first also.

4. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

No flame intended Rico, but if your not gonna pull the dist. and spin her with a drill you might as well just light her up. She's gonna have pressure in about 2 seconds anyway.

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I was talking about pulling the distributor and priming the pump with a drill. It would sure be a lot easier to do it with the starter. I'll try that before I fire it up. Thanks

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well my truck usually sits 2- 4 weeks before I fire 'er up. I usually just have the starter spin for about 5 seconds. Stuffs moving, but its moving slowly and oil gets everywhere. Pulling the distributor is best, and probly should be done if it has been sitting for that long. Do you use some sort of fuel stabalizer?? I would also check hoses and belts too.

7. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Everything is new fuel cell, fuel lines, carb even the radiator, hoses, pulleys, and belts. My only concern is priming the oil pump. I like the engine too much to take chances. I guess I should pull the distributor and do it right.

8. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I have separate switches for ignition and fuel, plus a pushbutton for the starter. If my rig has been sitting a while, I'll crank until I see pressure on my gauge and then light the fire. Only takes a few seconds. Better to crank slowly a few revs without pressure than to fire it off instantly.