Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I put a 10 or 12 bolt axle on my travel trailer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Jul 27, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

May 18, 2000
    I just bought this really cool 1960 Travel trailer. It was really low so I just did an axle flip on it today and gave it about 7 inches of extra clearance. What I am now thinking about doing is putting an old 12 bolt or 10 bolt under it with 33's so that it is just like my '72 Blazer. That would be very cool because then my spare would work for the truck or the trailer. Now comes the question, has anyone hooked up electric or hydraulic brakes up to an old Chevy axle? If so how?

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    I would guess hydraulic brakes would be the way to go. You can get a hydraulic surge hitch at Princess auto and then just run lines to the diff...the harder you brake the more hydraulic pressure applied to the trailer brakes. There ia also a disabler set-up so you can back the trailer up.

You might have to move the perches, and you might want to fab up some hangers and use the 52" springs for a better 'ride'. Personally i always thought trailer springs were too short and bouncy.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>