Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I put a new torque converter in my 700R4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Oct 10, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I'm going to rebuild my 700r4 for my blazer and I wondered if you guys think I should put a performance converter in it? I run a high stall converter in my Dodge Challenger, but cars and 4x4s are a little different that way.

Does anyone here run a higher stall? I thought maybe like a 2200 RPM stall might help out my blazer...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

id deffinetly run a new converter with a rebuilt tranny. i think 2200 is too high for anything i would do with it. stock stall is 1400, not knowing what you plan on doing with your truck, a 1600 stall is a good all around stall speed.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I ran a Corvette converter for a while and it sucked. I think it was rated at 1990 or 2000 rpm. I might be good for a hot cam in a mud or sand only rig, but for general use it was lousy. And compression braking was even worse than usual for an automatic.

Some rock crawlers actually go lower than stock for stall speed. I think the stock rating is pretty good.

Definately replace it if you're doing a rebuild. Rebuilt converters are cheap anyway.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Whatever came in mine serves me well . The tranny I have really lets me crawl pretty good for the axle gears I have . I don't know if mines stock or not , but it seems to be a good match to the tranny . Tranny must of been rebuilt , and with the converter in I seem to be able to move the truck well with a 305 in 4wd .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Do not even think about using your old torque converter with a rebuilt tranny. It is very common for the clutch mechanism to grenade in these lockup torque converters, and it will spread chunks of metal all through your fresh tranny when it does.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Stall speed depends alot on what you are going to do with the truck and alot of other variables including gearing, power, tire size, intended use, etc.

I rockcrawl my truck with some decent power, pretty good gearing, and 35" tires. So when I had my transmission rebuilt I used a 1000 rpm stall converter. I would have used a lower stall if I didn't have fuel injection that likes to keep my idle at 700rpm. If I ran a carb truck with a lower idle I would have went with an 800 rpm stall converter. With the fuel injection though idleing higher and making more torque it would be hard to keep the struck stopped at stoplights and such.

Harley