Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I rebuild the 700r4 in my '84?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Sep 30, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I have an '84 K5 blazer 4x4 with a 350. It's never gonna see more then 300 horsepower or 35 inch tires. I need a new transmission. I will put 3/4 ton axles in it later, but for now it has 3.08s with 31 inch tires. The engine is stock(for now) so I need a low first.

Should I rebuild my current trans or swap something else in? If I rebuild the current 700R4 in it, what are some upgrades to make it stronger?

BTW, this is just a rig for hunting trips, bad weather and mild offroading.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Regardless of all the bad press it recieves, the 700 is a good tranny as long as it's taken care of. I myself would rebuild the sucker for one reason alone- MILEAGE. The OD really helps me justify keeping my 84 K5 gas hog around.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I would try to find an '87 or later to rebuild. GM did a LOT of upgrades for the '87 model year because of the hugely bad reputation that the 700R4 had in the early years.

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

If you are going to rebuild it yourself, definitely get an 87' and newer one like stated above. If you are going to have a shop rebuild it, just buy a new one from a company like bowtie overdrives. I wasted $2000 having a shop build one that blew up 3 times. I finally just bought a new one from Bowtie for around $1600 Stage 3. For what you are using the rig for, you can get away with a stage 1 or 2. Not to sat that a shop can't build you a good one, but it cost me alot more to have it done than to just buy one from a company that specializes and builds them all day long.

5. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 and my tranny was rebuilt it has a transgo shift kit 50,000 miles still going strong.I have indead abused it.Keep your fluid changed every 15,000 miles and after rebuid change it at 5,000 the first time.good luck!

6. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah definately go with a good tranny cooler and don't lug around in od use when need it