Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I regear my differential or do a swap????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Aug 25, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I've been checking around prices for regearing my differential, I went to a local 4x4 shop and the guy wants $700 out the door, I called 4wheel parts and they're about $550 the cheapest one I found was around $525, some guys in here told me to go to the local yard and pick me one up but if I do that how would I know what kind of gears the differential has I want to go with 410s, my carrier is still in good condition but the gear installation is kinda pricey, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes and kinda broke, I mean I can afford the $550 price but I dont know if I want to pay that much money, would you shine some light on me guys thanks, by the way for the guys that asked me what part of southern Cal. I'm from, Long Beach is the place house of the Queen Mary ok guys I'm out.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

what axel

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is it a 12-bolt?

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I see you have a '73, so I assume it's a 12 bolt. I don't think the offered positrak in '73 so you could do good with a salvage yard 12bolt. You would want to find one with the gears you want (4.10s right?) and also a positrack if possible. The problem would be these would be desireable axles and could be hard to find, at least they are in the Wichita, KS area. If you do find one (like from a '77 for exaple):
    Good-gears you want, possible positrack, possible better brakes, newer assembly.
    Bad-hard to find, possible wear problems.

If you do a swap, have them take the cover off and inspect before you buy. Verify correct ratio and no abnormal wear. Should be no chips and the wear on the gear teeth should be in the middle. Everything should move freely. Put in new outer axel seals/bearings and clean everything very well.

I did one of these swaps a while back when my ring gear teeth started chipping off and I couldn't afford the cost of new gears. It worked well and I haven't had any problems.

Good Luck