Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I relocate the axles ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm gathering parts right now. Planning on doing a axle swap come next spring. Will be doing the Springer Suspension at that time also. I'm thinking of also getting the ORD Zero rate add a leafs. Would it do anything for me to move the front axle forward and the rear axle back ??? 6" suspension lift on this truck. I hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif people talking about relocating thier axles, but don't know what it'll do for me. I'm all for doing this build up right the first time so I don't have too keep taking it apart and putting it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Relocating the springs would be expensive and time comsuming. You would need to get new driveshafts also and possible do body work. If your truck is going to do some wheeling, extending the wheel base may not improve performance. BUT, if you have a very short wheelbase truck and are putting on a very tall suspension lift; extending the wheelbase would help with driveshaft angles. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's a 76 Blazer K5 with a 6" suspension lift. I mostly just do trails out in the forest. I kinda like the idea of relocating the front axle 1" to 1.5" forward, and the rear axle 1" to 1.5" back. New drive shafts isn't a big issue, I've already done them once, but plan on redoing the rear becouse of a slight vibration. (Would love to get a "High Angle Drivelines" shaft) I'll be swapping in some 3/4 Ton axles, and going with the Springer Suspension in the rear. Now I'm thinking of also adding http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm to relocate the axles. I also like the idea of another 1" of higth. For a total of 7" of suspension lift.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Any more opinions ????????????????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Are you doing crossover? I seem to remember reading that you couldn't move the front up w/o doing crossover. I could be wrong though. Are your axle's centered in your wheel well? I know the rear axle on my 72 is WAY forward so I will definately be doing it on the back. Also if you are doing cross over you have to watch that the drag link doesn't hit the spring and limit travel. Hope this helps you out some.

James /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wasn't planning on crossover steering at this point. Maybe when I finally find a Dana 60 at a price I can aford. I don't think you have to go to crossover to move the front axle forwad, but I could be wrong.

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

No, you don't have to go crossover to move the front forward. But the drag link will have to be shortened to compensate, I think Avalanches steering arms are the answer to that problem though, if you wanna check those out.

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Opps, guess I was dreaming when I thought I read that. Sorry for the wrong info.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you have a web address on them ??? Please post link. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Tryed a search on the internet for "Avalanches steering arms" with no luck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, what will relocating the axles do for me ??? what's the pro's and con's ???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Avalanche's D44 arm. I hear that they've been having issues with bending though. </font color>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Relocating the front 1"-1.5" forward will help you run and clear larger tires with less lift and trimming as well as help your approach angle. All good things.

Relocating the rear I would do so the tire is centered in the wheelwell when stuffed. A lot of shackle flip kits inadvertantly move the axle forward in relation to the wheel opening. If you open the wheel well up and move the axle back a couple of inches you'll make the departure angle better.

Rene

13. tRustyK5

Oh yeah...one drawback is you'll decrease break-over a little. Prolly not enough to worry about though.

Rene

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh yeah...one drawback is you'll decrease break-over a little.

[/ QUOTE ] ????????????????????? What is Break over ??????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What is Break over

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, mentally imagine your truck from the side.
    Also, visualize yout transfer case (usually the lowest thing in the middle of your truck.)
    Draw a line from the bottom of the front and rear tire to the bottom of the tcase. It should look like a wide upside down V.
    That angle is your breakover angle.
    What he was saying, in brief, is that you are slightly more likely to high center.
    -- Mike

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, that makes sence. I guess alot of y'all get more extream wheeling your rig's then I do. I may not get as wild as y'all, but want my K5 to be able to handle alot more then I'll put it through. I have always built every vichile to be able to handle more (dare I say) abuce then I'll give it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

Thanks Mike...

Rene

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You don't HAVE to do crossover when moving the front axle forward, but after shortening the draglink you'll probably WISH you had!

Mine had miserable bumpsteer with the cutdown draglink, but is just fantastic with crossover steering. You might be able to tame the bumpsteer with a front swaybar (which I did as an interim fix) but it's still not very fun driving down the highway....

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg,
    I am doing the ORD 1" zero rates next week (as well as adding a TH350). My 35's are rubbing on the front "fang" (which I am cutting off this week), and on the front of the rear wheel well. I figure I will move the rear axle back 1", plus the added 1" of lift should keep things from rubbing. I hadn't thought about moving the front forward.. should I? I have a drop drag link, so trimming is not a real option.
    I would love to run a set of those 37" hummer tires on 8" rims, maybe with the 1" zero rates and a one inch body lift I can squeak them under?

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dylan,

You might find that 1.5" offset on the rear is closer to "perfect"...I moved mine back a full 2" and that may be slightly more than I needed to do.

On the front axle, you really need to evaluate how things are looking now. If your springs are soft enough, you will eventually find your tires rubbing on the REAR part of the front fenders....that's the real motivation to get the axle forward.

If you can do some flexing now to see how close you are to rubbing there, you can assess whether it will be worth the trouble to move the axle and deal with the steering problems.