Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I replace my carb or go EFI, TBI, or TPI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif ok I'm all ears!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifAnyone have any thoughts? I know about drivablity that many fuel injection adds, Anything else? Pluses+ or Minus-?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifTalk to me!

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Replace carb? Why? Is yours bad too cause mine is crapped too. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TBI!! Cheap and good drivability. If you want the ultimate in horsepower TBI isn't for you, but if you want a good smooth running truck that starts in the cold and will run at any angle and is cheap to repair, TBI is definitely for you!

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha me 3! i hate my fricken truck right now!! ive had carb trouble since i bought the damn thing..the trucks up for sale now...and now it starts in with this crap again right when i try to get rid of it! ive had the truck almost a year now, ive had 2 carbs on it so far, both turned out to be pos's that need rebiudling or something..cant wait for my next truck..TBI hear i come /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally am headed the TPI route. I am almost done (I hope). It gives you all the benefits of TBI but it also gives you more of the benefits. More HP, more torque, more MPG. It is more indepth and will take longer (maybe) and will probably cost more, but it gives all the above, plus it looks really cool too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You are in the right town to go with TPI if there was any though. There are 3 people that I know of that are TPI and would probably be great resources on info and stuff if you went that route. Rob (therobzilla) runs MAP TPI, I am going to be running MAF TPI, and Mike (87GMCJimmy) ran MAF TPI and now runs vortech. I will admit I am still learning alot and don't know that much yet, but I have learned alot in a short amount of time. I was tired of spending money on rebuilding. I had wanted TPI since I saw Rob's truck and the TPI setup presented itself so I jumped on it. (Thanks Mike)

Harley

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

stick with the quadrjet,

my $0.02

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    stick with the quadrjet,

my $0.02

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You funny guy

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 79 ran better with the quad then my 88 burb runs with FI especially cold. Starts better, runs better cold. Now if it would run at sever angles I wouldn't be interested in FI. A properly set up quad is a wonderful thing but it still has it's limits.

The MPG stuff is mute point if your carb is right. I am aware of folks with early 80's Airstream motor homes that are around 15-16k and getting 10mpg on the flat plains in the mid west. That's with a Quad. I get 10 in my FI burb at 6500lb in day to day. If I can fill and drive without stopping it get's 11.5.

If your just looking to save fuel then your going to be driving for several years before you break even on the FI even if you build it yourself with junk yard parts. $150 into a quad sending it to someplace reputable like BG or Jet and your will run every bit as efficent.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

naaa screw all that this is what you need!
    [​IMG]
    heheheh Perrty ain't it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    naaa screw all that this is what you need!
    [​IMG]
    heheheh Perrty ain't it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Isn't that a MPEFI system. As much as I hate Edelcrap, I would use thier Multi Point Electronic Fuel Injection.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is money no object?

Economy IS a moot point, unless an injection setup is free. The swap will cost you more gas money than you will probably ever save.

If you have time, money and patience, go with multipoint injection. TBI makes it easy because these trucks had it, but TBI is still a glorified carb. Still better than a carb, just not as efficient as say TPI.

I would put a properly running (and built for the application in question) injected motor up against a properly running carbed motor any day of the week, and you'd see the injected motor beating the carb in every aspect. Carbs aren't as efficient as injection, and that equates to less power and performance. There are a multitude of other variables than can affect this sort of comparison, but you can look at the specs on this very website between a 1986 and 1987 motor and see the difference in HP alone.

If you want to get real crazy, look at what the new Corvettes are putting out. Think a car with that kind of driveability, economy, reliability, and power would be possible with a carb? Not a chance in hell.

The negative side of injection is complexity, cost, and parts availability, simply because there are more parts when compared to a non-ccc carbed setup. Of course, most every EFI component will last longer than 100,000 miles, so parts concerns are because of part quality, not design flaws in the system.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dorian,

Is there any such thing as a fuel injection setup that "looks" like a carb?

I am fundamentally opposed to fuel injection more for the aesthetic look of it on an old classic truck. Those fuel rails, and all that plastic wire loom (and modern looking molex connectors) really seem out of place in a simple engine compartment of the early trucks.

I'm sure I could find a way to "hide" most of the electronics and maybe minimize the look of all that wiring....but those long fuel rails don't seem like anything that can be hidden or worked around. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That I know of, no.

TBI is the closest your going to get to looking like a carb that I can think of. Anything multipoint is going to need a fuel rail, although the Vortec setup supposedly uses hoses instead of a rail. (still wno't look "old")

You kind of think the opposite of most people I guess. You look at a lot of classic vehicles now, and fuel injection is almost a standard to meet when restifying a vehicle. Nothing wrong with wanting it to look "stock", thats for sure. I still won't drill holes in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So what's the best TBI system out there now? I'm less concerned with money right now than with a painful install. Installing the fuel stuff, computer, and sensors could be nasty, especially fuel.

Added: I was looking at the Holley Pro-jection. Any opinions? The Holley site kinda sucks because it doesn't explain all the kinds (2D, D, Di, etc.). The install looks like it might not be so bad though, only maybe the fuel return line. Can anyone tell me if my 83 already has the return line? I can see two rigid fuel lines in the frame rail, but I haven't traced them. I'm not sure why I'd have two with a carb, but I never really looked it all over.

I also see that the Di might be able to utilize the mysterious spark control connector on my distributor. Maybe this is a good thing.

15. blackmule

blackmule Registered Member

tbi all the way man. i had a 76 with a healthy 350 and the thing flung the mud and sod but the winters sucked and the bumps robed me of all that HP that i was blessed with. i have a 87 with the tbi and i would never go back. the Hp is less but i am able to keep it all going to the ground and at any angle the motor runs the same and my budies who all protested the tbi are now all looking for the stock set up and are willing to only have a two barrel carb ,find one and you will fall in love with it and never go back, seems to be easy to set up on old trucks too. plus with a chip and power tower the HP increase is worth it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member