Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I replace my timing chain?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Robert79K5, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Just thought of another one.. I searched but didnt find this answer. My 6.2 has about 180,000 on it and I am thinking its time to replace the timing chain. My question is how long are these chains expected to last? is mine on borrowed time? oh and is it a p.i.t.a to do?
    Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Get timing gears. I think Diesel Depot has them. They're a little pricy, but you'll never have to replace them.

3. BINDERMAN

BINDERMAN Registered Member

I have a 6.2/auto that went down due to dropping head off valve with 140k on it and the chain was LOOSE! I would think the injector pump timing was surely off some due to the slack in the chain. I would go either with new chain/gears or the gear conversion as listed above. I feel the chain setup is one of the things that gm should have put a little more thought into. With a gas burner the gear drives are noisy, but with the diesel it should not matter. I would also install a new/rebuilt water pump at same time. Good luck!!!