Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I risk it? Ball Joint ????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 14, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Should I risk it? Ball Joint ????\'s

I need to replace the ball joints on my 44. I have the press from Harbor Freight, and four new Moog joints, and the pickle fork, basically all the tools required to pull the hubs and axles and then separate the knuckles. My question is...Should I risk doing this this weekend at my hunting cabin, which is a good hour and a half from the closest decent parts store? I have found that I really like to work on the blazer while I'm chillin' at the Tiltin' Hilton (the name my Grandma gave to the cabin). I have done some work on it there, mostly oil changes. But I did replace the radiator, and was able to work around some somewhat major setbacks. My fear is finding that I NEED something to get the blazer back on the road, and that I won't have it. I have had the hubs off plenty of times, but I have never gone any farther than that. Can anyone forsee any critical roadblocks I might encounter? Any parts I might want to have on hand for when I fubar something (like spindle nuts, or whatever...)? Should I just ride around on bad ball joints for three more weeks until I get a chance to fix them?

The sh!tty thing is that I will be going 3/4 ton with the front soon, and I'll have to swap the gears to 4.11, which means that I'll be tearing the axle down to the knuckle anyway, but I don't know how long I can ride around on these joints before I fubar something else up. Awwww [darn], I donno. Maybe I'll just have the GF drive me to work a few days next week so I can take care of this.

This will be my first time doing ball joints, anyone have an estimate of how long it should take, in an ideal "no snags" situation?

Thanks fellas.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Re: Should I risk it? Ball Joint ????\'s

With the right tools, press, spindle nut socket, BFH it really doesn't take that long to do at all. Just be prepared, what could you possible need that you don't have? Bring a breaker bar, maybe a propane torch. I recently did one for a friend and it took maybe 2 hours with him helping and learning along the way.

-Chris

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i wouldn't mess with it with the harbor freight ball joint press. seen too many break.

how bad are they? should be able to make them last for a little longer.

[ QUOTE ]
    The sh!tty thing is that I will be going 3/4 ton with the front soon, and I'll have to swap the gears to 4.11, which means that I'll be tearing the axle down to the knuckle anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
    i did mine a few weeks ago. i damaged the shortside seal when i put the axle shaft back. so now im gonna have to tear it all down again. plus im gonna put crossover steering on it soon and im gonna need to do the pass side again. then i will need to regear so ill have to do it again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    ... now im gonna have to tear it all down again. plus im gonna put crossover steering on it soon and im gonna need to do the pass side again. then i will need to regear so ill have to do it again

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain brother......

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you're using this tool from Harbor Freight then you might want to think twice about doing this far away from civilization. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Do you have a spanner socket ? Or you could make one out of a 13/16 deep socket in about 20-30 mins.
    Shouldn't take more than 3hrs per side since this is your first time. Just take your time and follow this ball joint write-up or the instructions that come with the Moog joints. The torque specs (you do have a torque wrench right? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) are a little different in both instructions, but then again they are different in just about every manual I checked. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

BTW: where's your cabin at? I have one in Humboldt that's 45 mins from a parts store so I have an idea of what you're going through. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. mofugly13

Yep, thats the tool. Hopefully It'l work this once, at least. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My place is in Mendocino County. About 10 miles east of Boonville. Its on a 4000 acre hunting club. I'd live there if I could.
    Heres a pic of it this past winter with the bonfire pit at about 1/3 throttle.
    [​IMG]

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, thats the tool. Hopefully It'l work this once, at least. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My place is in Mendocino County. About 10 miles east of Boonville. Its on a 4000 acre hunting club. I'd live there if I could.
    Heres a pic of it this past winter with the bonfire pit at about 1/3 throttle.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice man! looks very relaxing. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif