Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I risk it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 2, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I need to rebuild my carb. I have never done this before should I do it myself or pay a mechanic to do it? have there been any topics or forums in here on rebuilding a stock carb? Are there any problems I should look out for I dont wanna mess itup.

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Go for it. It is not that hard just do it on the kitchen table or a workbench. Get the kit and read the instructions before you start so when you do it you will understand everything better.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah,

I am the most non mechanical sap in the world and I am doing EVERYTHING on my truck now!

Go for it!

You have the bible here to tap in to...

Surfing is Life...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you don't already have it get a book called "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe. Add that to the instruction in the rebuild kit and you should be OK.

Before you start examine the throttle shaft for any play or wobble. If there is 'play' there it will need to be re-bushed and rebuilding it will be futile until the rebushing has been done.

The actual dis-assembly and cleaning and re-assembly is fairly straightfoward.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Personally haven't yet taken on any thing like a carb, but. Being a woman, I hear all the time take it to a shop etc.. Even though I don't claim to be a mechanic. I can do quite a bit more than just changing my oil... the philosophy I use is the following--- If I cant get it back together after taking it apart, at least I only have to pay for 1/2 the labor when I bring it to get put back together! good luck with the carb! And if worse comes to worse,, BUY A NEW ONE! ( thats typical of a woman huh!)

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had never done one before and i did mine took me about an hour and a half and was very easy just watch where everything comes off of and be sure to put it back the same way[​IMG]

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333