Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I run a 160 degree thermostat?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 2, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Went wheeling this weekend, well I was tacking my engine pretty high due to the sloppy mud. After a couple of holes I noticed my temp was around 230 and sometimes higher /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. My stock thermostat is 190, will it screw up the computer if I run a 160 degree thermostat?

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i run a 160 in my 89 k5 with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Depends on if you have emissions regulations.
    Some of the emissions parts/computer require the temp be up to 195 for things to work properly. A 160 stat doesnt warm up the inside of the car very good during the winter when the heater is running either.

Not sure the lower stat will help much with the 230 deg temp. Would think a supplement electric fan would be a better choice. You need to remove the heat from the radiator. The stock fan isnt running fast enough to get the required airflow while your wheeling.

Just my thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thoughts are appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've thought about a fan, especially since I no longer have a fan shroud. That will probably be my next bet, after I try the 160 degree thermostat. And emissions are visual only.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Why dont you fix the problem instead of masking it with a different t-stat?

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I have to agree that a fan shroud will lower your temps considerably if not completly solve your problems. A lower t-stat won't help that much and you will still overheat if reving high and moving slow

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to agree that a fan shroud will lower your temps considerably if not completly solve your problems. A lower t-stat won't help that much and you will still overheat if reving high and moving slow

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...........no fan shroud, low speeds, high revs = overheat.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I knew the fan shroud was the main culprit, but I accidently distroyed it when I put my body lift on. Where can I get a shroud that will work with my body lift?

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where can I get a shroud that will work with my body lift

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to get a stock one and modify it. I cut the bottom of mine off just enough to clear the fan. I have no overheating issues at all.

10. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

You will be amazed at how much of a difference a fan shroud will make.

11. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

My 89 1/2 ton burb with efi passed smog in california no problem with a 160 deg thermostat, and it sure made it alot easer for towing with that thing! also wheeling in the sand too.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...160 deg thermostat... wheeling in the sand too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Higher speeds + more airflow = lower temps

IMHO:
    In low speed/high rev or at idle a higher temp t-stat will work better. This is because the water in the radiator is subjected to more cooling time while the thermostat is closed or trickleing. The more cooling time, the more consistant the temps will be with the t-stats target degree.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I knew the fan shroud was the main culprit, but I accidently distroyed it when I put my body lift on. Where can I get a shroud that will work with my body lift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Body lift = fan spacer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing the shroud is the problem... if you have 160* tstat running down the road the computer wont run right. I have a 195* tstat in my truck and it runs pretty well and rarely goes over 210 with the AC sitting in traffic /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. bigredk5blazer

bigredk5blazer Registered Member

With EFI you don't want to run a 160 t-stat without a PROM change. The truck may run fine, but will be running too rich all the time, because the ECU will still be feeding it warm up enrichment trying to see a temp of 185 or better. The lowest t-stat you can run is a 180 without problems. Given the cost of gas do you really want to be too rich?

I agree with the consensus here. A lower t-stat is just a crutch. Fix what's really wrong. Another thought is the condition of the radiator. If it's clogged up with mud it won't radiate heat as effectively. A good pressure wash session at the local car wash can aleviate this problem. I've seen a lot of rigs run hot from this condition.