Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I sell my '73 for a '72?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Mar 4, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Should I sell my \'73 for a \'72?

Hi all,

I LOVE to go rock climbing. I also LOVE the full convertible. Should I sell my '73 auto/203 3/4 ton axles w/ arbs f&r for a '72 stick with Dana 60 (open) and corp 14 FF (open)? I was thinking about getting a detroit and ARB front.

Naturally I would move my motor (F.I. 383), ARB air pump, shocks, and custom 5 core radiator.

My question really comes down to, I WILL run 35 BFG Muds for now, I LOVE the 38 TSL but will probably only get the 36" TSLs. I want to go ROCKIN'

What should I do?
    TIA
    TO

TIA
    Nick

I am really messed up on this one.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Should I sell my \'73 for a \'72?

I suggest you keep both of them. You WILL destroy your off road vehicle if you 'wheel it hard enough.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That's would be interesting.. but, my S.O. won't allow that.

Right now the '72 needs a motor...

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Topoff,

I doubt you'll get many "unbiased" opinions on this topic (including this one!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The 1st Gens are awesome and unique....it is always cool to see one in good shape on the trails. The problem is that some of the parts are getting expensive and hard to find, and if you are really gonna wheel it hard and destroy the body (or really hack the fenders for big tires) it might be better to leave that '72 alone.

No offense to anyone here, but the 73+ K5's are a LOT more common, so when you really "trash" one on the trails....it's not like you're doing it to a "hard to find" vehicle.....

Then again.....if it came down to chopping up a '72 for the trails vs. letting it go to the junkyard.....it's still better to "save" it from the crusher, and give it a new life as a trail rig.

Just my (biased) $.02 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Well, I really have only done the pinstriping and the rocker crush from cheesy nerf bars. I am getting serious about rocker protection ala ROCKSLIDERS and a tailgate that can hold a 36 or 38 tire.

I have concerns just like you... I am not SURE how far I am going to go ROCKIN' in my blaze. I KNOW I am going to Rubicon... but with a full cage, rocksliders, assuming I don't roll, I doubt there will be real damage.

My question really revolves around, the sturdiness and toughness of the 72 vs the 73 full convertible for frame twisting fun on rocks.
    I LOVE my ride in the '73 for street manners, my friends 72 seems REALLY noisy and tin cannish... I am not sure if all '72s are that way or if it is all the sound deadening material in my '73.

TIA
    TO

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TopOff,

Someone can chime in on the frame thickness (and strength issue)....but one thing that's nice on the '72 is it comes with a welded in factory steering brace!!

I've got a seperate frame for mine, that I'll be re-inforcing and "boxing" and who knows what else...It will be quite a bit more rigid than stock.

As far as noise, I'm the wrong guy to ask! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I don't have ANY carpets or sound deadening.....and I have a BIG BLOCK motor with dual-exhaust.....if it weren't for the HUGE stereo, I doubt I could even hear music!

Seriously though, I'm sure that there's PLENTY you could do with sound deadening....and I have a feeling that's the only thing you're noticing between your '73 and your friend's '72.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I guess it's not really a metal thickness issue as a general "FEEL" for the truck on the road. But that FEEL may include sound deadening and street responsiveness, as well as gauge (RPM speed-o etc.) look and feel, etc.

Additionally, going on the rocks with the top ON, was a nightmare. My '73 top is now all cracked and generally shot. The tail gate fell down when the top was on. I ended up making a cross brace behind the tail gate, which kept the two halves of the fenders from flexing apart and allowing the tailgate to come down.
    SO, I am also curious how the '72 tops and bodys fair on the rocks?

BTW: I will also be towing my '19 foot boat.

I will be pulling the carpets and sound deadening out of whatever it is I keep and run Duraliner or a spray-in.