Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I Shorten My Wheelbase? Everyone's Opinions Appreciated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, May 31, 2003.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Should I Shorten My Wheelbase? Everyone\'s Opinions Appreciated

I'd like to hear your opinions on whether or not to shorten the wheelbase on my K20 during the one ton swap in and flatbed redesign. I'd shorten it to a K5's wheelbase.

I asked in chat and the general consensus was keep it long, but for a few valid reasons, well that I think are valid anyway, I'd like to shorten it, along with the fact that it would indeed look cool.

Pro's (as I see it)

Driveshaft less likely to hit
    Better breakover
    Better turning radius
    Already bought all the junk I need to do it
    Might as well I'm tearing it apart anyway

Cons

Lots of work
    Possibility it may just not work becasue I'm an idiot
    Less stable in climbs

Storage isnt a con because I don't plan to haul much with it

Anyway, everyone's thoughts are appreciated

Anyway.....

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Should I SHorten My Wheelbase? Everyone\'s Opinions Appreciated

<font color="green"> I think you need to get out and wheel your truck a little bit before completely rebuilding it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font>

3. Resurrection_Joe

I spent half an hour, writing and deleting pages, trying to reply to that, explaining what I have done and what I want to do, but I won't. It's too much hassle. Just know no matter how valid it was it upset me

Anyway, anyone want to answer my question

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Whoa Joe, didn't mean to upset you, but I guess that's par for the course today. You know me better than that, I wouldn't have said anything if I thought you would take offense. I just remembered you saying in a post the other day that you've only actually wheeled your truck once or twice, so I had to comment. I'd hate to see you get stuck in the "perpetual build-up" that some people seem to end up with. I guess I can include myself in that group right now, since my junk has been more or less immobile for over 2 years.

I'm considering shortening my wheelbase when I redo my suspension too, but I'm undecided, so I really can't help you decide on what to do with yours. Sorry.</font>

5. Resurrection_Joe

Ok...

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Should I Shorten My Wheelbase? Everyone\'s Opinions Appreciated

I'm in the forever building group,LOL.

I too have been kicking around the idea but I'm thinking fo going the other way,LOL

The stock blazer WAS 106.5" and as it sits with a rear flip and 57's I am at 107" (front axle was moved forward) and I'm thinking of flipping the rear springs around to gain a few inches and make it about 111" (roughly a short bed truck size)

better approach and departure angles.and if ya make it close to what chevy did then you'd be able to get drivelines with out making em,LOL

-Jeremy

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i too am in the same delema. i love my long wheel base but i cant get over the drive shaft being so venerable. the only thing i can think the do is shorten her a few inches or run a carrier, but that in its self would be a mess.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what is the WB? IMHO, 105-115" is pretty good, and with the full width axles, pretty stable.

If you had the whole thing apart, i'd do it. If its close to being able to wheel for the summer runs, make it a winter project.

9. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    If you had the whole thing apart, i'd do it. If its close to being able to wheel for the summer runs, make it a winter project.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a point, I have to narrow the flatbed and add a bunch of crossmembers anyway, plus redo the whole rear suspension, so I'm basically an hour with a saw and drill away from doing it.

Thanks for the replies so far

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

then do it.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Well okey friggin doke captain! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well okey friggin doke captain! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

its:

AYE, AYE! Mon Capitan!

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

In these parts many of the trails are heavily worn by short wheelbase rigs so extra wheelbase is actually an advantage. With more wheelbase, you can get the front tires past your obstacle before the rears even get started. Its funny when a K20 with only 33's shows up a Jeep with 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A logger's box, flatdeck, or some exo-cage on the sides of a stock box can minimize the penalty of the larger turning radius.

A two-piece rear driveshaft configuration does help with clearance under the "belly" of the rig.

14. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have thought about shortening mine also, but i came to the conclusion to leave it alone--i am also in the endless buidup, but between mods i get to wheel it a few times (everything that breaks i upgrade, so i'm just going throught the weak links) to me--(if you are gonn shorten it to blazer length) the extra 11" isn't gonna give you as much as you are pitting into it (ie. cut, cut, weld, move spring mounts, driveshaft etc.) just to get a better breakover angle didn't seem worth it.
    just my .02

15. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    the extra 11" isn't gonna give you as much as you are pitting into it (ie. cut, cut, weld, move spring mounts, driveshaft etc.) just to get a better breakover angle didn't seem worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm going from 131 to 106, so its a good 25" shorter. When I bought my one tons from 8 YOUR H2 he sold me the cv shaft for the rear, so thats allready taken care of.

I think I'll just go ahead and do it. If mine was a shortbed pickup, I probably wouldn't bother either

16. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just extended mine from 169.25" to 170.5" if that helps any /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyway, 106" sounds awfully short to me... From my experience 110-120 are some magic numbers...

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i can see the reason for extending wheelbase... aproach angles are better etc... but shortening a k5s wb doesnt seem all that beneficial for the work involved. &lt;shrugs&gt; lots of jeep guys who are hardcore into rock crawlin extend their wb to 105-110"... and the K5 is already there so I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Joe is shortening a K20, not a K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh, whoops... i was skimming his post and saw k5 in there and went with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif check what i last said... shorten that wheelbase!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

as with jeremy, and maybe yourself, I am in the forever building group as well.

tell ya this right now man. been over 2 years since i drove my 74. you can always take more off later. what i say, like shaggy, is to get it done now, without shortening it. if you like it, leave it. maybe you will decide to shorten it, but not by so much. as you see a lot of folks on here are making thier blazers WB a few inches longer for one reason or another. ot much normaly.

drive the thing dude. i so wish i could mine. and i cant.
    Sheila MIGHT be pregnant, although i dont think she is(neither doe EPT but she thinks she is.) so if she is, there goes a lot of funding for the truck. sh!t happens man. i bet you are more financialy off that i, but drive your truck for a while after the current upcomming mods. then make your descission from there. i dont think you should cut it down to a blazer WB. put it around the middle of the two. then maybe a divorced case. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    take it with a grain of salt or a spoon of sugar bro. personaly i would drive it for a bit, then decide after you see how it handles.
    grant