Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I spend $300 on a 14B?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frank74, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

A fellow high school friend of mine has acquired two 14 bolt rears. I checked them out today. One is the 1 ton FF from a truck, 8 lug, with 4.10 gears(41/10) which is what I want. It is an open differential as well and looks and turns fine. However, the seller is asking 300 which is twice what I would like to pay for an axle(free would be nice too). The nice thing about this though is that it will bolt right in to replace my 12 bolt, has very close gears(compared to my 4.11 front dana 44), and is beefy. I realize I will need a new u-joint, u-bolts, and wheels,(he has the spring plates) but that will get me close in the 500 dollar range, so should I look else where? I would gladly pay $200 for it, but I doubt I can talk him that low. I just don't want to regret anything.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

If it is a 14b out of a 1 ton truck and you are replacing a 12 bolt, than it is NOT a bolt in deal. The spring perches on the 1 ton version of the 14 bolt are narrower than the spring perches on everything else. Shock mounts are different as well, as the 1 ton has the shocks inboard of the frame.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

And...../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 1 ton shock mounts are on the opposite sides of the tubes than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton shock mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds pretty high to me, but then it seems that everything is expensive in California. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just put an open 4.10 14-bolt FF in my Sub. Paid $150 for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just bought a pair of 3/4 Ton axles (14 bolt FF, and Dana 44 , matching set from 78 3/4 Ton truck) for $250.00 , so they are out there fairly cheep. Both these axles have new breaks, so I lucked out there. Good thing too, my 1/2 Ton axles need new breaks, but I can hold out till I swap these new axles in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I paid $40 for mine! Still needs a little rebuilding and I'll end up regearing it but its a starter and when I get done everything will be new.