Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I stay or Should I go now? WENT!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, May 21, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

All My Buddies are headed up north for the big weekend, and My blazer is itchin' to go.

She has alwasys blown smoke out the rear and burnt oil, but she doesn't overheat. I know that the ball joints need to be replaced, and she needs a tune up.

My problem is that everybody's going wheeling while we are up there, but I'm the only chevy guy. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif There's a couple of mopars (jeeps and trucks) and a couple of Furds.

Will a back woods trail 250 mi away be a huge problem for my 90 K5 190,000mi old? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I know the trans is pretty solid, but I know it will burn a quart of oil getting there and back.

I've got one day to work on it (8:00-5:00) Then leaving @ 5:00. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What would You do???

Thanks
    Jeremy.

2. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Re: Should I stay or Should I go now?

I say go. Here's whey, I screwed up this a.m. by not taking the opportunity to surf on the outerbanks with a friend who went down there today and now I'm sitting here at work knowing he's having a good time and I'm reading sh@! like this. No offense to you my friend. I think you'll be sorry if you don't go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good luck.
    Tom

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

NO! i wouldn't, thats 500 miles plus miles of trail bashing on a rig that you know need work.

4. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

lll

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

250 miles there plus 250 miles back = 500 miles

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

dude if someone has something to tow you back on then i say go!!! Have a great time!!!! Send us PICS.

7. gumneck

You said it just needs a tune up and ball joints.

Are you planning on putting 500 miles on it prior to tune up and ball joints anyway, you know back and forth to work and such. If so what diff. does it make?

Bring a few extra qts of oil,dexronIII, and take it easy on the rompin. Here's your weekend pass from home. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Take it.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yea man GO!!!!

9. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i say go, cause i don't know about ya'll but it seems everytime my friends go some where and i don't they have a great time and i'm stuck in the house or with some boring loser

10. gumneck

GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If not you may end up doing what I'm doing right now. I think I'll go hang myself.
    Later,
    tom

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I say go, but make sure you have your AAA card w/ free towing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. And anyway, breakin' down 250 miles from home in the woods always make for a good wheelin' story. If you bust ass you can tune the engine up and probably do the ball-joints too.

12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Hmm, interesting.
    We ran the super dooper upper tour a few years back. Had a few un-prepared guys come along the made the trip miserable for those of us that were prepared. One jeep was a oil burner, anyone stuck behind them sufferd from the fumes. One guy showed knowing his front axle was weak, broke on the first hole and had to be towed thru the rest(major bottle neck). Then there's always the guy who borrows a pair of boggers and thinks he's cool by throwing a roost on anyone/everyone that's behind him while he's in 2wd(open diff) in a hole. Only problem is he's to ignorant to realize how many stones he's pelting everyone with /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

If it's just a trail ride down the fire roads then you should have no problems. Don't be suprised if you're asked to bring up the rear. If it's gonna have some hard core mud sections, leave it home, IMO. 40 miles from town bouncing thru a mud hole and breaking a balljoint will ruin more than just your weekend. Mechanical problems are a way of life in off-roading, but bringing a truck with known problems is just asking for trouble.

13. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I've got from 8:00 till 5:00 to work on it before I have to go, I'm thinking of replacing:
    the ball joints and
    cap/rotor/wires/plugs.

anything to beware of that I should know before tring to complete this job b4 it's time to leave? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks

Jeremy

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

"If you go there will be trouble.......and if you stay it will be double." -The Clash

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Diesel Dan

IMO, start with the ball joints. It'll drive on 5 cylinders if nec. It won't drive without 1 front tire.

Have on hand axle shaft u-joints, maybe spindle bearings. This will allow you to check your entire front end out.

Know one guy who burned up multiple sets of wheel bearings due too water from wheeling. He once tried to make it to silver lake with bad front wheel bearings. Stopped in Baldwin for bearings, very noisy at that point, and figured he'd replace them when he got to the dunes. The bearings seized on the spindle about 1 mile later.

BTW, if you've never done them before, you'll definitely earn your pay that day! You should be able to get all four replaced in that time, even for a first timer. Two people would be a major help if you can find someone /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if you got time do a quick oil change to..

17. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, interesting.
    We ran the super dooper upper tour a few years back. Had a few un-prepared guys come along the made the trip miserable for those of us that were prepared. One jeep was a oil burner, anyone stuck behind them sufferd from the fumes. One guy showed knowing his front axle was weak, broke on the first hole and had to be towed thru the rest(major bottle neck). Then there's always the guy who borrows a pair of boggers and thinks he's cool by throwing a roost on anyone/everyone that's behind him while he's in 2wd(open diff) in a hole. Only problem is he's to ignorant to realize how many stones he's pelting everyone with /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to a point but the whole reason for doing something like this is to relax and have fun. Granted some people have no buisness bringing a truck that they know will break in a harsh enviornment but thats no reason to ban everyone who hasnt spent thousands of dollars on there ride from haveing fun. This is not a competition here its called having a good time.

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but thats no reason to ban everyone who hasnt spent thousands of dollars on there ride from haveing fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think Diesel Dan wasn't saying that you should have a tricked out rig to go on a 4x4trip but that your truck should be good condition before hand. Just doing preventive maintainence does not require thousands of dollars and ensures that everyone will have a good time since you won't be blowing radiator hoses, breaking fan belts etc. Breaking parts is part of wheelin' and I'm not upset if the guy in front of me on a trail ride blows a ujoint or axle since that stuff happens and I'll be the first to lend a hand, but if the line keeps getting held up because that guy has to push start his rig since the starter hasn't worked since 1986 is bullsh!t. Having a well maintained rig is just part of basic trail etiquette

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

besides, it makes for a safer daily driver anyways.. I've had a wheel from a ford taurus pelted at my on the freeway.. bounced right over my car, but it was funny, cause it look like it took all the lugs off too. Im sure he just didnt tighten them or forgot one.

20. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]
    Granted some people have no buisness bringing a truck that they know will break in a harsh enviornment but thats no reason to ban everyone who hasnt spent thousands of dollars on there ride from haveing fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Like stated before, basic maintenance. We wasted one night till 4 am running back and forth getting hub/spindle/rotor parts for a 1/2ton blazer on 42s. Lost the tire assembly due to sheared lug studs on the side of a hill. Turned out he wasn't even running all the lugs and a stud was already broke/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

IIRC, the most expensive mud truck I had was a blazer I bought for $3,000. 383/sm465/np205, D60/14FF, 38.5s/6"/3". Most of my rides were in the <$2K range. I never had a "pretty" truck that I 'wheeled, but I never had a failure due to a maintenance issue either. I was always buying new hoses/belts/u-joints etc for a new ride. My brother in-law bought new CD players first instead.
    A good pair of spicer ball joints runs around $50, cheap insurance.