Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I still get a stick welder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im definately getting the miller passport, (just fits my needs well for multi site building maintainace items)...

but a nice deal on a Lincoln Electric 225 Arc Mig Welder just came my way as well.

Brand new, 230V, for 150 bucks.

Should I take it? (the guy is confused, arc mig? its a stick!)

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wish I could buy it!...

I am lost without my arc welder..it died a few months ago..and no one here has a 50 dollar special for sale like I was hoping to find at a flea market...:(

If you have a big 220V MIG welder capable of welding something over 1/4" thick in one pass,you could probably do without the arc welder...isn't much an arc welder can do that a MIG cant,except maybe heat up nuts with carbon arc torches,or cut steel with cutting and gouging rod..

I never owned a MIG yet,so I am pretty attached to stick welders...'ve been able to "get by" without a MIG,but I'm sure if I got to use one for any length of time,I'd probably not use the arc welder much..

150 bucks is not a bad price for a Lincoln "Tombstone" welder,especially if its an older one with copper windings in the transformer,with low hours on it..
    If you buy it,I'd say you could sell it for at least that if you decide you dont need it that much..

I priced one at Lowe's nearby,they get about 260 bucks for an AC only version,that has aluminum windings in the transformer--(not that I'd ever have an issue with that anyway,since I'd only use it sparingly)...but I dont have ANY cash to spare to get one now..:(

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I actually like my arc, more then my hobart 140. The hobart is nice for sheet metal and little stuff, but cant beat 1/4" in one pass :) I picked up mine with 50 feet of extension cord for 75 smackers

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I like mine too..

lincoln electric ac/dc 240v..... LOVE IT!!! :bow:

oh yeah ... it was free :p: