Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I take vengeance on the dealership?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 26, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My mom got a mailer addressed to me at her house for some toyota dealership, with a scratch off card inside. So of course she opened it and scratched it off, and it said "you've won a $1000 shopping spree!". She called the dealer to see if this was $1000 off a car, and the guy said it was some kind of internet thing, but she had to come in to validate it. She left it for me, and I called to see if it's like $1000 of service visits booked through the internet (cheesy dealer "fine-print" kinda crap), or maybe something crazy like $1000 in paypal credit or something.
    So I called and get a sales guy who, once I said I got a card in the mail that says I won a shopping spree, starts repeating that I have to come in to find out, I have to come in to find out, I have to come in to find out, then hangs up when I try to ask if it will be worth the hassle of the trip to his dealership.

So my non-vindictive reaction is to tear up the card and throw it out.
    My vindictive reaction is to go in, ask about the card, then horribly waste thier resources by starting a phony car purchase process, and when it comes time to sign anything, say, "Ya know, I almost forgot, you guys were the ones that wouldn't let me get a word in when I called this morning. Ah, nevermind, I'm going out east to buy a minivan..." ("out east" there are literally hundreds of auto dealers).

I already know I'm going to throw out the card, just daydreaming of irking them like they irked me.

Annoying, too, how they skirt New York contest laws by calling it an event and making the scratch and win card non-integral to the event. Like if you removed the scratch and win lines and anything to do with them, you'd have a normal dealership mailer.

edit: I think the google ads miss the point sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    edit2: I got one at my address with a $1000 shopping spree too! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Ok, I'm going there and getting my $2000 shopping spree today (both sent to me at 2 different addresses)... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

If you have the time, go ahead and start up a phony interest in buying a car. Take it out and test drive it... Then when they want you to commit, let them know in no uncertain terms that you are here for the sole purpose of wasting thier time as they did when they sent you the phony scratch off.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I think I would read all of the fine print really well to make sure that it's not just a 1000 dollar shoppin spree after the purchase of a car on things like seat covers and crap like that. If it isn't contingent on buyin a vehicle call up your Toyota buddies and see what kind of parts they might need and go spend a couple of grand in goodies.

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

if you have that kind of free time, heck could be fun....dive everything in the lot sports car to pickup..and say, hmmm...i need to think about it. They will try to get your #, 'oh no, i'll call you'

edit: on second thought, don't do that. The salesman isn't the bad guy-he makes what he earns on sales...if you hold him up, he may not be able to feed his kids. Its a dealership issue, and if its unappreciated, talk to the management.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The salesman isn't the bad guy-he makes what he earns on sales...if you hold him up, he may not be able to feed his kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought of that, which is why I wouldn't actually do that. I did send them an email about it, though, mentioning that they failed to change my mind from chrysler for my upcoming Minivan purchase.

I did stop and redeem the "tickets" (contest pig that I am). They are for an internet shopping spree with this one web site. I went into the site, and I couldn't spend $1000 if I actually wanted some of the stuff they were selling. I have to pay a staggered shipped and handling rate, so the 4 items I thought I might want (but certainly don't need) came out to $40 shipping/handling, and mental notes tell me I can get the same things for less at Walmart. They were selling a junky looking 40 piece drill bit set for like "$60", and I think the same set in wallyworld is like $10.
    Cripes, there was a camera that I swear looked disposable for sale for $30.

I can't be mean spirited like that, I wouldn't mind costing the dealership money (since it's the "gamble" they're taking by offering these "shopping sprees" and eloquent attempt at deception), but I'd feel like too much of a heel wasting a poor sales guy's day.