Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I trust a radiator leak stopper?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Apr 25, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a leak in my radiaotr on the bottom passenger side corner and I'm a little worried about. I saw this radiator leak stopper stuff you put into the radiator but Im not sure if its a good idea or not. Would anyone recomend this type of product? Seems like if it could stop a leak it could clug the radiator? any suggestions? Thanks

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Short term - yes. Long term, no. Go to www.radiator.com - I got a 4 core new radiator (Modine) for $162 delivered to my door next day air. It's cheaper now with a CK5 discount too..........

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Should I trust a radiator leak stopper?

<hr></blockquote>
    Only long enough to get home and/or get it to a repair shop.

Even at that, I've heard them accused of stopping up block/head passages and other really bad things. I've had no experience with that so I can't say for sure.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I used that stuff in my first car (1986 Pontiac 6000 STE) and it stopped the radiator leak, but it also caused the thermostat to seize and stay closed...Needless to say, there was a nice big mess in the parking lot when my radiator cap blew off and coolant was spewing out like Old Faithful...haven't and won't use it after that event...

Chris

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

The passages in a heater core are smaller than those of the radiator. I wouldnt use it for fear of clogging the heater core.

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I used it in a car that I had wrecked and made a nice imprint of the fan in the radiator. It stopped the leak and the car ran fine for the next 3 years. Results may vary.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pinch the offending tubes off.

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

radiator leak stopper is the DEVIL. It will only make you pay in the long run and the leak will just come back. I have seen this used in many vehicles. It has a habit of clogging heater cores and sometimes the radiator. If you can aviod it, don't use it. It is meant to close up small holes or openning, which is exactly what your heater core/radiator is designed around.
    My two cents,
    Mike

9. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Its not a tube, its the actual radiator thats leaking. I guess i'll take a better look at it and If its unfixible I guess ill use my CK5 discount to buy a new one. Thanks for the input, ill stay away from the leak stopper.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use JB Weld if it's a tank.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A PO of my sisters car used some sort of stop leak to try and cure the heater core leak (worked for awhile) but she couldn't figure out where the coolant kept going right after she bought it.

Turns out the stop leak stuff made its way through the system and some of it ended up in the overflow tank. Coolant would flow into the tank when the car was shut off, but the stop leak stuff acted as a one way valve, so the coolant reservoir filled up, and would only overflow after the car heated up after shutdown...just enough time to walk away before the coolant started dripping on the ground.

New radiators really aren't that pricey, I'd seriously consider one. Unless the one you have was new but accidentally got a hole poked in it, more than likely its much less effective at cooling than it could be, which is why it rotted out...its old and corroded internally.

12. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I just replaced my 90's radiator with a High Efficiency Aluminum Core made by Performance Radiator, Part #62-84. My radiator sponsor gave me it at his cost of $105, I don't know what the retail cost is though. I had to do some minor trimming of the rubber mounting pads and the fan shroud, only because it is thicker than the original. Other than that it fit perfectly. All hoses and Trany Cooler lines lined up. It has a HD Trany Cooler in it as well.

13. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

3 words for you "DONT USE IT" I used it on my old Camaro and it did stop the leak but it also clogged the radiator bad, I had to buy a new one.