Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I......UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Aug 25, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've got the opportunity to pick a (I think) 1985 K5 that has been wrecked. Guy ran it into a guard rail to avoid a car. The frame is bent, and all I'm looking to get out of it is parts and sell what I don't need. Its got a running 350, but has a ping or knock, good tranny, xfer case, and axles. 95% 32x11.5 BFD AT's on rally wheels with trim rings. Decent interior. Body is pretty good shape. Tub is good. Not too concerned with the body though. I can get the whole truck for $650, or the rims, tires, motor, and a few other nit-noid parts for $400. I've got decide by Wednesday. Should I do it? Wrecking yard offered him $150 for it, so I think I could get that back out of it if nothing else.

Kris

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Should I......

well what do you need off the truck? what kind of clientel do you have, when you are ready to start sellin parts. if you know the right people you can make a decent chunk of cash, but if you dont, then you got a mess on your hands.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm really looking at the tires, engine, seats (possibly), rear window motor, and maybe the tranny/xfer case combo. The tires are near brand new. I know the guy personally who is selling the truck, so I'm not really worried about getting screwed over. He said he is selling it to a junkyard by Friday if I don't buy it, but he needs to know what I want by Wednesday. I would either sell the rest or sell it to a junk yard.

Kris

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ifn the yard offered him 150 and hes gonna take it, offer 300 since hes a "friend"...

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well, I talked to the guy tonight, and worked out a deal to store the truck for a little bit. I'm gonna get the truck. Found out its got a 12 bolt rear instead of a stock 10 bolt. 208 xfer case. T350 trans. 350 with a knock, probably rod. And all the interior goodies. Frame is bent, but I don't really care about that. Should be getting it sometime next week. Then the fun begins. I'll post pics and all when I get it and after I tear it apart.

Kris

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea silver is right on that ..parting out trucks is not fun/easy...

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Quite a bit of the one I'm getting is going onto my 84 and maybe some of it onto my 77. Then I'll have to decide what to do with the rest. I guess I'll just have to see when I get it all torn apart. I can't wait to get started!

Kris

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

one thing though, you learn a lot from taking them apart!!

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I just hope I can put them back together. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Its gonna be fun. Now I can justify buying some new tools. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris