Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should i use D for going up hills?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Should i used D instead of OD for going up hills?Why or wny not.Thanks for any help.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm assuming you're referring to driving on pavement. On a steep hill, you'll probably be into the pedal quite a bit. This will cause you tranny to drop to D, and it won't go back into OD until you've reached more level ground and back off on the throttle.

FWIW, on long uphill climbs(we have a few around here;)), I manually gear down to D and don't re-engage OD until the end of the climb. Staying in D keeps you in the power band, anyways. That's where you want to be going up a hill.

3. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

I agree with the previous post..
    --
    But would like to add
    --
    Yes if its HUNTING..that is, if it is shifting up and down over a short period of time..like a combination of slight grade and maby wind, or rolling hills, or varing grade on a hill
    -
    That will make it hot, and wear the clutches
    ==
    Othewise let the trans decide.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

When im on the freeway i hear a humming noise is that the overdrive. The only time i hear the humming is when im at a constant speed over 50mph.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i always down shift when going over hills. more gearing for tires already struggling to get a 3 ton truck to a summit can't be a bad thing.