Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should I weld my differentials??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chaka454, Nov 20, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I have a 93 Toyota pick up with a 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and riding on 35 super swampers, I dont know what gears I have but the truck runs pretty good, my problem is that I dont have posi, I have a friend that's a mechanic and he suggested that I weld my differentials, he has a scout that he welded his differentials and they are running pretty strong, he suggested I do the same thing but before I welded them I wanted some advice from the best (you guys) any info on this would really help me if it's a good idea I want to weld them this weekend, thanks guys.

2. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Searched using "Weld Differential gears" using the "and" function and came up with a lot of hits. This one might help

THREAD

Although, I don't know that you'll get much Toyota input.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its your daily driver I wouldnt.

A buddy of mine with a Toy that has a welded rear goes through a pair of rear tires every 4 to 5 months. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There are issues that come up with weding Toy diffs, something to do with the fact that the gears in a Toy diff contact each other in a slightly different way than in most diffs. Can't tell you much more other than do some serious research before you do it.</font color>

5. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I will do my homework before I do it thanks guys, I read the threads too and now I'm thinking about it, thanks for the info guys.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

welding your rear diff will be alright, but dont weld the front too hard on steering joints and shafts.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

like everyone else would say i personally wouldnt weld them if it is your dailey driver, yull wear out your tires faster, and yud probly be better off getting an auburn locker, or somthing, i should of when i had the 12 bolt off my truck in the shop but 300$ plus 250$ for labor was alot at the time, and a open diff is probly more reliable then an auburn, of corse then i could be wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> First off, you're lucky that you didn't get the Auburn. I've had experiences with only 2 of them, but both broke in less than a year. Mine broke with less than 3000 miles on it. Second, Auburn doesn't make a locker, it's a limited slip. They make two versions, the regular one and the Pro, which just has a tighter bias. </font color>