Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

should i weld my steering box on?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wild-will, Sep 2, 2003.

1. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

I just recentley put on the frame repair kit and there is still a little give on the box. What do you guys think of welding it to the frame?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ummm, no. Get the other bolt on brace to add to the weld on kit, that will help the little bit of give that's still there. I would highly recommend against welding it on, that would be the backwoods good 'ol boy type of fix that you'll regret later when it breaks completely and takes the whole front of the framerail with it. </font>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

<font color="red">NO NO NO NO NO and NO /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

ummm....NO...just image how fun it will be to replace your steering box if you weld it on....just do the WELD-IN brace and the bolt in brace and some new grade 8 bolts torque to spec...thats all you can do...

Chris

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

No. If you think you have problem's now,,, if you welded the box on, it would weaken the frame even more from heat. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The frame would break out in the exact shape of the box. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I think you should weld it on. Then put lift blocks on your 10 bolt front axle and trade your 454/465/205 for a 305/700/203. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Aint nothing wrong with being a backwoods good ol boy.lol. But no dont weld it on that would be the west coast hippy way of fixin it.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Isn't a steering box cast iron? How would you even weld cast iron to steel anyway?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Very carefully. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm no welder, but I think it just has to do with using the right rod. </font>