Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should my drag link be level?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I have a D60 on my 91 K5and my drag link sits at around a 30* angle(higher in the front) and I had to replace both joints in less than a years time. Should I have a drop pitman arm to level the joints for better wear? where would I get a reasonably priced one?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the draglink should be parallel with the spring.

i have a 4" lift and my draglink is about 30* also and both ends on mine are still tight and are the originals also. ive run mine for with the lift for about 6 months.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is how mine looks with 6" springs. I don't have any drag link problems unless I flex the front a lot; then the only problem I have is that when the axle drops out on the drivers side it binds the ends of the drag link because they they have met their mechanical limits. I have never wore one out because of age, they just get torn up from wheelin'. If you make your drag link level there is a good chance that you will have horrible bumpsteer.

And no laughing at my junk! :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

youll want to start thinkign about finding a drop pitman arm it its starts getting angled too much,

id be paranoid if my draglink was anything cept level then id be after a pitman arm,,

good luck

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry but I've got to disagree with big83. A level drag link will give you bump steer simply because of the geometry of the way the axle moves in an arc. We've covered this quite alot a few months ago. I explained in detail how and why in a previous post. If you can't find it with a search or looking thruogh my old posts, get back to me and I'll see if i can do a cut and paste job for you.

Higher in the front is the way to be!:)

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i said the draglink has to be parallel with the front half of the spring, not level. if the front half is level, then the draglink should be level. if its at a 20* (from spring eye to ubolt plate) then the draglink should be at 20* also. you will get minumal (only at extreme droop) bump steer with this setup.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmmm...ok! guess we were'nt on the same wavelength!! No offence!:)