Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Should NOLA be rebuilt?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 1, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I read something yesterday by someone that thinks it will either never exist again, or not be New Orleans, as the world has known it, ever again. Someone else said it will be the new Atlantis.

So anyone think it will be rebuilt? I've come to the opinion that it would be foolish to rebuild it where it is, and it seems many others are coming to that conclusion also.

I think, in my poorly educated opinion, that it would be better to plan and build a new city in a more stable area nearby, maybe call it "New Nola, LA", and develope trucking and transportation routes through the flooded area, maybe similar to the Chesapeake bay bridge. I might think about going down there in that case, too.

I'm having trouble seeing what the point of rebuilding really is if this can happen again sometime. Of course, Real Estate investors with major properties down there will take a loss, but that's why you have insurance. The homes that have been lost may not be salvagable, and the contents unrecoverable. I know home is where the heart is, but this may be one of those rare events where home no longer exists.

I've read the levee system will never be strong enough to protect a city like New Orleans, so far below sea level and close to the sea, from future disasters like this.

To be bluntly honest, I'd be devastated if my home on Long Island were under water, which isn't totally impossible (unlikely, but not impossible), but I might almost be thankful for the opportunity and catalyst to pick up and start over somewhere else. That's just my dissatisfaction with LI, though, I don't expect everyone to feel that way.

I'm just wondering why. Not argueing or calling anyone stupid, just looking for more information/education on why it would be worthwhile to rebuild/salvage the city.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Is there really any other option?

NO is probably one of the oldest southern cities. It's been burned, it's been flooded.

Even if the city was just abandoned .. what we become of the buildings? It would turn into something out of "Escape from New York". :shock: With homeless people flocking there.

It will be cleaned up .. rebuilt, whatever it takes. I have no doubt about it. Besides, NO anywhere else, would not be NO... and if it were rebuilt somewhere else, why even bother to name it NO ... may as well change the name too.

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

N.o.

I'm with ya,,the New Orleans that will emerge from this disaster will never be the one we all knew and loved. But,I think it's high time the rest of the nation put's a stop to funding all of this disaster relief for areas that are bound to be hit again.

Example,,here in Texas,, FEMA has bailed out numerous idiots that insist on living in the Trinity river basin,, that every time we get a substantial amount of rainfall,, will flood. Most of these "RECIPIENTS"
    of the relief,, live in dilapitated mobile homes down by the river and then demand to be taken care of when their s*it gets washed away.

Happens time and time again,,,and who picks up the tab for these *ssholes,,
    you guesed it,,,,, You and I. And do you think they learn from their experiance,,hell no,,go buy another repo crackerbox and park it next to the river and wait for the next flood.

I say use all the damaged buildings etc.in New Orleans for landfill and bring the whole place up to sea level,,knock down the levee on the river side and call it beachfront property,,,

Just my .02 cents ,,,,and BTW,,, while I'm ranting,,,,THE IDIOTS that refused to leave and are now dead ,got what they deserved,,,WHAT PART OF MANDATORY EVACUATION DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND !!!!!!!!!!THEY WEREN"T DOING IT TO MAKE YOUR LIFE HARD,,,THEY WERE TRYING TO SAVE YOUR FRICKIN LIFE!!!!!!!

Rant off,,,,

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Parts of it will be fine. Parts should be rebuilt - the older parts (Downtown, CBD, Uptown). A lot of the people that left will not go back. They had nothing to begin with. I don't think that FEMA should rebuild some low lying areas - they should be set aside for flood relief in the future. Those areas will be easy to spot right now. This is not, by the way, a popular opinion right now.

My fear (and I'll bet BowtieBlazer's) is that many of the evacuee's will simply stay in Baton Rouge.

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

having lived there and moved away not two months ago, i would like to go back some day and relive my rough and rowdy days. but fact of the matter is that new orleans is the biggest port in the united states and third largest in the world iirc. from what i can tell from my sources, the french quarter and uptown where the universities are, have not been too heavily damaged. the ninth ward is gone, but that is a lot of low income housing and projects. the 17th st canal is hitting the suburbs hard. the city will rebuild. yes parts are below sea level, but look at other ports or river deltas, they flood but those areas are perfect for ports and shipping. florida is prone to be hit by hurricanes. should we abandon florida just for that reason? of course not. should we leave california because of the earth quakes? well, maybe, but people will continue to live there. why? because it is home. $h!t happens, hurricanes happen, tornados happen, floods happen. rebuild and restart. these are just my opinions so take them as you will.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting. Yeah I thought why bother naming it the same if a replacement city would be built elsewhere, I was just banging around ideas of the scneario and thought naming it after NO was a nostalgic way to honor the crumbled original NO.

I would say there is, rebuilding is looking like a pretty daunting task, top off that it may be all devastated again in a year or a few years or not because the physical location is so unsuitable for urbanization.

To plan and build a new city would boost the economy, provide many jobs and all that. Rebuilding looks like it will require a lot of work not only pumping out the flood, but stabilizing existing structures, or demolishing and rebuilding too severely damaged structures. Who knows how much structural damage there's been overall, not only from saturating water, but from teh hurricane's initial damage.

They're talking billions of dollars to fix the levee and make it capable of protecting from a category 3. That's not counting the cleanup costs.

Also, regarding the extent of damage, news media is making it sound like the entire city is under rooftop-level water. If there are less damaged parts, then obviously there's no need to abandon them.
    Regarding it being among the biggest shipping ports in the world, maybe this is an eye opener to move things around a little. Maybe it would be better to extend the city to higher ground to replace the lost parts, and dig a port/canal through the now flooded areas?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's why I said maybe this is one of those rare instances where home just no longer exists.

The entire state's not prone to it, and while there's plenty of weather caused damages there, not a whole lot of Florida cities often suffer the "worst natural disaster this nation has ever seen".

I dont think I've read anywhere that anyone expects it to be the same city after cleanup; the general opinion I've seen is that, sadly, New Orleans has been changed permanantly no matter what it's future.

I'm not saying "Why bother" and I'm not taking an aggressive negative stance on this, so please don't get on my case like I'm calling it a crappy place that should be wiped off the earth. I read a lot of the "Engineering Nightmare" type information yesterday and today, and while I'm no architect or city planner, it looks pretty apparent that this was an area that made no use of natural resources to handle weather catastrophies, and in fact was counter using natural runoff paths, etc.

Don't get aggressive or defensive. Be informative, I'm not attacking anyone or anything or even argueing, just explaining my opinions and why they were/are what they were/are as they form and change. No need for a pissing match if anyone has one brewing.

I think the landfill idea is brilliant, raising the level of the low areas would make them a lot more resilient, and this would be the time to do that.

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

if you are not familiar with the land around the city, there isn't any "higher ground" the southern part of the state is almost all swampland. another thing to consider is that people always knew this could happen. the city knew better than anyone. that's why pumps are strategically placed in and around the city. i am not trying to step on toes or argue per say, i just want to spread the facts as i know them. carry on.

9. cbbr

You make a good point that I think people should know about. The media is looking for the worst. it helps sell advertising I guess. The fact is that many parts of the area, while they will need cleanup, are OK. The areas with water up to the rooftop are by and large residential. Most were poor areas. The areas with middle class/upper middle class folks will be fine after cleanup and electric/water/sewer are returned.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good information to have, I'm finding it hard to find anything about that area that doesn't pound "wholesale disaster" in your head. I know there is significant damage, but I guess it's hard to develope an accurate mental picture without going extreme. Constant "the world is ending" barrage from the news.

11. cbbr

Also keep in mind that they are not even showing the pics of the Miss. coast (at least around here). The news that we get is all NOLA and all mass destruction.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

They should take care of their engineering problems before it is rebuilt.

But to rebuild it somewhere else, what would you call it : New New Orleans?

13. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The Great Flood of 1993 was a huge flood that occurred in the American Midwest in 1993. Its size and impact were surpassed only by the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, and has been considered the most costly and devastating flood to ravage the U.S. in recent history. The number of record river levels, its aerial extent, the number of persons displaced, amount of crop and property damage and its duration surpassed all U.S. floods since the 1927 disaster; in some categories, the 1993 flood surpassed even the 1927 flood

Valmeyer is a village located in Monroe County, Illinois. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 608.

The original site of the village was inundated in 1993 by a historic flood of the Mississippi River. After the flood receded, the village relocated to higher ground about 2 miles (3 km) away.

I remember when I heard about this town. After generations of being flooded they decided to move the entire town to higher ground. This is one of the best uses of Federal Money to rebuild I can remember hearing of. I wonder if the Big Easy will learn from these people.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I honestly think they need too look at cost of rebuilding NO vers build a new city on higher ground. Tear down the levies/dikes/whatever you call then, destroy whats left, make it a very large port. Build the new city around it.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rebuild it if they like, just don't use any of my money to do it.

The residents/government of that city deserve exactly the same as people that build houses on the sides of cliffs, on the beach, or everywhere else that a disaster isn't an "if" proposition, it's when.

You build there, you live there, you pay for the consequences. No one else.

Their own damn fault the city is a lower level than everything around it. About time nature finally said FU on a large scale.

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

The foolish man built his house upon the sand, the wise man built his house upon the rock.

17. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Then the wise man bought some of the cheaper sand lots and built opon them, rented them out to the foolish men and flourished.

A little hard core but sad and true.

18. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Not how it works in this country.

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have never been there, and really dont plan on doing anything but maybe a visit.... obviously a few years down the road from now....

i agree, it will be rebuilt it will keeps its place and name.

now... for my next comment, PLEASE DO NOT take offense and QUIT READING if you easily offended.

if you are stupid enough to live in an area below sea level that is that close to the sea... ... need i say more?

if you are even more stupid to REBUILD and STAY there.... ... need i say more?

my thinking goes the same for areas of freequent flooding, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados and monsoonal tidalwakes.. as freak as they are. please make it noted i DO NOT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA BY CHOICE!! USMCkeeps me here.

now, other people have to stay in places like listed above for the same reason. that reason being "no choice" its sucks. its life. everyone has to strive for something.

wahts my point to all this offensive rambling? simple... rebuild if you like after whatever dissaster.. but dont b!t*h when mother nature takes your new toy away. be willing and ready to accept the facts and life that goes along with the life you choose to live.

THAT being said, everyone in that area can take insurance money and move... if they had it anyway. the rest will TRY to make it "escape from L.A" like stated before. over time all will be close to normal.. but never truly normal.

k, im done being honest (read asshat to some, alive to others)

Grant

20. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

True, true.... I wouldn't live in Hurricane Alley if I weren't in the Navy. I'm stationed here now, so I have to deal with this crap - not by choice. When I get out.... I wanna move somewhere....uh, less nerve-racking.