Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shoulder belt ? on a 73

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Aug 4, 2001.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I would really like to put shoulder belts into my 73 on the front seats because i just dont feel right with just the lap belts. has anyone done this to a full convertable? I have a roll bar in it so i have a oplace to mount them, just wondering if anyone else has any usefull info.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

2. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

<font color=red>I haven't done it but with a roll bar it shouldn't be hard. just sit in the seat and position the belt where it fits you the best mark that area on the bar, weld in a tab and bolt it on.</font color=red>

73' GMC Jimmy 8" lift and 35" tires.....14 boltff and big 10 bolt on the way

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I had to do it first time I took my top off......I used a used a piece of 2 x 5 inch flat steel 1/4 inch thick and wrapped it around the bar on the outside....drilled an oversize hole then welded a nut to the back it. Looks almost factory and fools the Dept Main Roads here, although I've never seen another blazer on the road here and I can baffle the inspectors with any line of cr#p I want. Make sure you get good penetration on your welds and that your rollcage mounts are still heathly. Went topless today........sunburnt and happy!

4. soba

soba Registered Member

surg82k5 has a similar setup to aussiek5 on his rollbar, worked just fine , they held him and me in just fine during an accident. Wow xnoahx nice blazer . but the pics on the engine aren't working on your website

78 bronco- 351M . C6 , Dana44, 9 inch, np205 32s 67 camaro - stock I-6 250ci :(

5. kmbonomo

kmbonomo 1/2 ton status

I have a 83 full convertible conversion with a 3" stainless steel roll bar that was 1/4" thick and I drilled and tapped it out then bolted the seatbelt to it withg the original bolts, works great but you can bearly see it in my attatched picture... if your rollbar isnt thicker than that and not stainless which is harder, than i would suggest burning a hole in it big enough for the bolt to slide through then weld a nut to the outside and bolt on your belt.... You can eaven test it by hitting a brick wall if you so dare... rockon..

Go topless or don't go at all !!!
    83K5 Full Convertible Conversion
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/readers/reader257.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/readers/reader257.jpg</a>

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i done it on my rig i used some belts from an 82 toy, drilled through the roll bar and used grade 8 bolts, works great but i might get some new belts from salesco.com checkem out. they are around $75 each.

7. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Just a thought for anyone drilling through their rollcage for seat belt mounts at shoulder height, consider the weakening effect it will have your main hoop. According to FIA specs (an international governing body for motorsport) any rollover protection that has holes in it, has to have the holes that were drilled, sleeved, to maintain the structures integrity. I can vouch for these reccomendations after having cages complying to their specs save my bacon 2 times. If any body wants wants more info PM me and I will scan and send any diagrams I have. Ya just can't get too much safety when you mix soft bodies with lots of metal.

8. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

i have a '74 that has the top off all the time. my cage isn't set up for belts so i have mine going to the floor. it works surprising well. but i use 5 point harness too. i don't use the crotch belt, it's a pain.

'74 350,t-400/205,d44(L/S),12b(detroit)cutout doors, thrashed an twisted