Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shoulder Harnesses for Rear Bench

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pops83k5, May 19, 2002.

1. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

My 83 K-5 has lap belts for the rear bench seat. I think later models >88 or 89 have shoulder harnesses where the retractor housing mounts on the roof. Chevy dealers say they can't find shoulder harnesses for the rear bench in any year. Would a 3-pt harness from Salesco work where the retractor housing mounts on the floor? I know I have to mount a clip on the ceiling for the belt but that looks doable if I reinforce the bolt with some large washers or plate.

pops83k5 350/350

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If I were adding shoulder harnesses to the rear, I'd install a 'cage and add the upper mounting points to the kickers - 3 points from Salesco should be more than functional.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 Blazer, Scottsdale model and it has the retractors bolted to the hard top just like you said. Maybe this will help, at least now ya know for sure what year.

4. pops83k5

the cage sounds great but I've got rust problems in the floorpan to deal with first and I wanted something simple until that bigger job was done.

5. pops83k5

the 91 has the integrated top instead of the removable one, right?

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

No, its the last year of the removeable one. They bolt to the fiberglass top.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a Service bulitin on this and something about adding them as well as a tie off point for a baby seat. Have the stupid dealer look up the info.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    http://www.alldata.com/recalls/
    one of those should have the CSB about the 3 points for rear passengers. Just get the number and the clueless parts or service person should be able ti figure it out. I have been meaning to hammer on my dealer about it myself. I want to see what it covers.

8. Grim-Reaper

I looked it up. Get this it was issued 2000.
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/821122GC.html
    99-09-40-008 JAN 00 AUXILIARY SEAT BELT FOR SECURING CHILD RESTRAINT
    99-09-40-006 JAN 00 DEALER INSTALLED REAR SEAT LAP/SHOULDER BELT KITS

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Have your parts guy look in the accessory part of the parts catalog for shoulder belts. I'll see if I can dig up some numbers on Tuesday.
    Jim

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

pn-996378
    These belts are black. They are a lap belt with a removable shoulder harness. One end attaches to the buckle end of the belt and the other to one of the hard top bolts. I like that idea better than the belt attaching directly to the top.
    Jim

11. Grim-Reaper

I don't think that would work on my 79 at all. The retractor is on the end with the latch and it is pulled to the blade against the wheel well. I can't put the baby seat anywhere but the front passenger seat or the center of the rear bench with the manual adjust belt. It stinks either way because it either makes it where you have to jump the driver seat to get in back. No big deal for the 9 year old but I can't do it. With that big car seat in the middle it makes it crowded on the outboard seats. On the 79 the belts must be different than the 80's models for that to work. On the 79 the belts are attached to the seat. Do 80's models have the belts bolted dirrectly to the floor?

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The RH & LH retractors bolt to the floor, but I don't remember how the center attaches. I'll look..
    Jim

13. pops83k5

I've got a dealer willing to look into it although he was flabbergasted at a 2000 TSB for an 83 K-5. Did the pn-996378 in your post come from the TSB? I'm trying GM parts direct for kicks even though they blew me off the first time and said I should research something before I try a part specified for another vehicle. I thought asking them was my research!

pop83k5

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Not a TSB. Just an accessory seat belt.
    Jim

15. pops83k5

The dealer can get them for $165/kit or $330 for both. Too steep for something that sounds a little strange. They're not able to provide pics but confirmed that it bolted to one of the roof bolts. That seems a bit too far forward for me. I'll keep trying in other areas. Not sure why you can't just buy those
    from the 91 model and retrofit. Am I missing something here?

pops83k5

16. Grim-Reaper

My Guess is that the 90's models have some reinforcement in the hard top to make a stronger mounting point that wouldn't tear through the fiberglass.

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah the tops have a steel structure in them that the belt retractor mounts to. I've got the entire setup left over from my body swap... the hard top, belts, and rear seat. It's all just collecting dust in my garage cause I liked the earlier style better, it's easier to take the top off if you don't have to unbolt the belt retractors all the time.

On my 88 the retractors have the buckle on them and are built into the seat, then just the blade is bolted to the floor by the wheel well.

18. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I bought 1 kit. It has two retractors and two shoulder belts. You need only one kit. Doing a retro from a later model was my first plan of attack but the later model belts are discontinued. You may also try the local CarQuest auto parts. They have an assortment of universal belts the may work. What seems to far forward ? The shoulder harness attaches to one of the bolts that bolts the top to the bed side. I like that idea better than having no shoulder belt when you go topless.
    I've still got the box and instructions. I'll be right back...
    Jim

19. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Give me a fax number and I'll fax ya the instructions from work. Or go back to your local Chev. dealer and have the counterman call Partech and they will fax him the instructions while you wait...
    Jim

20. Grim-Reaper

Any chance you can take some pictures after you get them installed with a person sitting in the seat so we can see how it hits them?
    Is the a bracket that makes the mounting point taller or something? The bed rail just seems to low to get the proper angle needed for the belt to be in the correct place on the passenger.