Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shouldn't an '87 K30 have a fixed yoke 205?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Shouldn\'t an \'87 K30 have a fixed yoke 205?

Shouldn't an '87 K30 1-ton 4x4 have a fixed rear yoke on the 205?

I looked under mine, and it has a slip yoke. I thought '80 was the only year they did that.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Shouldn\'t an \'87 K30 have a fixed yoke 205?

If it has a 205, I think so. But 208's were also around at the time, I could only imagine that perhaps its a 208?

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Starting in the early 80's it seems that the only 205's to get the fixed yoke are crew cabs and cab & chassis trucks. Every standard cab pick up I've seen has had a slip yoke.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 86 K30 had a fixed yoke 205 and a two piece driveshaft (regular cab)

5. nvrenuf

Was your 86 originally a pick up (sold with a bed) or a cab & chassis (sold without a bed)? I've never seen a standard cab pick up come with a 2 piece driveshaft (typically the 2 piece shaft is for wheelbases longer the a regular lwb pick up).

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I think his was a cab and chassis truck that someone threw a bed on, cause if I remember right it had a BIG gap from the bed to the cab.....if its the same truck I am thinking about...

7. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    I think his was a cab and chassis truck that someone threw a bed on, cause if I remember right it had a BIG gap from the bed to the cab.....if its the same truck I am thinking about...

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a cab & chassis. I bought one once that had a 137" wheelbase, it was so close to lwb length that I considered putting a bed on it but ended up scrapping it.

A quick tell tale sign would be the frame shape. Typically cab & chassis trucks have straight frame rails behind the cab for ease of fitment of work beds, etc.. They will not have the normal "hump" in the rail over the rear axle.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Was your 86 originally a pick up (sold with a bed) or a cab & chassis (sold without a bed)? I've never seen a standard cab pick up come with a 2 piece driveshaft (typically the 2 piece shaft is for wheelbases longer the a regular lwb pick up).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it always had a bed on it, and I have seen many longbox 4x4s that come from the factory with a two piece driveshaft.

My C30 has a 2 piece driveshaft too, which further calls bs on your point that 2 piece driveshafts are only for wheelbases longer than 131.5".

If my K30 was a cab and chassis from the factory it would have funky wheels, a super narrow rear axle, and the Dana 60 would not fit correctly into my K10, none of which were true.

My '86 K30 was a normal, regular cab longbox truck and came from the factory with a fixed yoke 205 because it had a 2 piece driveshaft, just like the fact that my '87 R30 came from the factory with a fixed yoke TH 400 because it also has a two piece driveshaft.

9. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    No, it always had a bed on it, and I have seen many longbox 4x4s that come from the factory with a two piece driveshaft.

My C30 has a 2 piece driveshaft too, which further calls bs on your point that 2 piece driveshafts are only for wheelbases longer than 131.5".

If my K30 was a cab and chassis from the factory it would have funky wheels, a super narrow rear axle, and the Dana 60 would not fit correctly into my K10, none of which were true.

My '86 K30 was a normal, regular cab longbox truck and came from the factory with a fixed yoke 205 because it had a 2 piece driveshaft, just like the fact that my '87 R30 came from the factory with a fixed yoke TH 400 because it also has a two piece driveshaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about driveshaft length. I don't know what the magical number is that makes the break between one and two piece shafts but considering your 2wd truck would have a shaft at least a foot longer than it's similar 4wd counterpart I'd say that's why it has a two piece shaft. Now lets talk apples to apples...

4wd only...

Cab & chassis trucks do not come with funky wheels, they have SRW or DRW wheels (depending on the model) just like the standard pick up trucks. I do realize that later 3500HD trucks had 19"(?) wheels but that's a different body style and does not apply here.

Why wouldn't the front D60 fit any other straight axle Chevy? There is no difference in a c&c axle than a pick up axle. My first D60 came from a 84 c&c truck, after I converted the bearing hubs (only) to SRW it bolted right up to my '80 K10 (this same housing is now under my crew cab).

As for your K30, I'd be interested to know what wheelbase is stated on the door sticker. I'm not saying the two piece shaft could not have come in it but I will say I've NEVER seen a 4wd, standard cab, factory pick up box carrying truck with a two piece shaft. Have you ever seen one other than your own?

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

My 87 dually (regular cab) had a two piece shaft when I bought it, but I dont know if it was fixed yoke since the original trans and tcase had been swapped out.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If it always had a bed on it.....what was with that BIG gap between the bed and cab? I have never seen any other regular bed truck with that gap.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

As far as the rear axle being "the narrow one" on Cab chassis that was just one option . Cab Chassis could have been ordered with a wide rear axle if needed to fit several style utility beds or whatever was needed.

I agree with those that are saying that regular cab K-30's built after 1980 came with a one piece drive shaft and a slip yoke. The bolt on yoke / two piece drive shaft was Cab Chassis or Crew Cab offerings .

13. BlueBlazer

Just so you guys know, my 87 regular cab did have a two piece from the factory, it had a carrier bearing riveted to the crossmember just below the back of the cab. I only removed it cause I would not need it. It was a bone stock dually regular cab when I bought it, maybe the duallies had the two piece and the SRWs didnt /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe the duallies had the two piece and the SRWs didnt /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe some trucks just had it and some hadn't.

I've seen many 400/205 longbed regular cab trucks with two piece driveshafts.

15. BlueBlazer

Just FYI, the 87 had a 465/205 from the factory, it was swapped out for an auto.

16. mountainexplorer

Mine is an '87 K30 SRW regular cab. Right now it has a Utility bed on it. It has a slip yoke rear on the 205 with a one piece rear driveshaft.

I have had a few 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks that had the 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing. These were all regular cab longbed 3/4 ton 4x4s with the SM465/205.

17. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To make things more confusing - A two piece shaft does not mean that it "has" to be a fixed yoke. I had an 86 1/2 ton regular cab long bed 2 wheel drive with a 4.3 and the transmission had a slip yoke and used a two piece shaft...

18. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    To make things more confusing - A two piece shaft does not mean that it "has" to be a fixed yoke. I had an 86 1/2 ton regular cab long bed 2 wheel drive with a 4.3 and the transmission had a slip yoke and used a two piece shaft...

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I have one of those, too, well did have for parts. Same year, same motor and everything, slip yoke rear output with a 2 piece carrier bearing driveshaft. Only, from what I could tell, it had a 700R4 originally, and when I pulled it apart, out came a TH400.

19. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I have one of those, too, well did have for parts. Same year, same motor and everything, slip yoke rear output with a 2 piece carrier bearing driveshaft. Only, from what I could tell, it had a 700R4 originally, and when I pulled it apart, out came a TH400.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what mine had also, everyone thinks I'm /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif The gear indicator on the dash only read to drive (not OD) and the replacement tranny filter for that model truck is for a th400. The 400 may have been factory on your's also.

20. nvrenuf

Not sure of the year but somewhere in the late 80's GM stopped using the TH350, with it gone the "base" model 3spd auto was a TH400.