Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show And Tell Time

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Been back for a few hours and got some pics for the gallery to enjoy and oogle over.

I traveled the NW Arkansas/SW Missouri on Wednesday to pay respects for a great uncle of mine that was laid to rest on Thursday. My dad's mom's family came from the Ozarks and while the over whelming opinion of those that have never been around these type of people usually involve cracks about the family tree, for those of us that have the opportunity to enjoy being around these folks savor every minute of it. My great uncle, along with my grandmother and the 12 other siblings grew up in hard times (The Depression) with not much of anything. Survival was the name of the game. All they had was each other and their faith in God. That faith is pretty strong with a lot of these folks and even though these days I'm not a Christian and have found my own way to travel, the over whelming BULL**** opinion of some crackpots in society these days take people like my family as a threat to their own mindset, yet you would never see that or feel that from people that came from the Ozarks. In fact, my great grandpa, when he passed about 30 years ago, was still living in a one room rockhouse with no electricity and a well out back from which we drew water for everything.

Now let's get past the ranting and get on with story time. First, I do have to issue a disclaimer before I get too far. If the woman from Broken Arrow, OK happens to read this, I just want to let you know that the impromptu horn at the green light yesterday wasn't me hitting on you. Even though you looked like a hottie that could use some Bubba Screen Door Banging Sessions, muttering the words "**** you" in your rearview, while getting a salute from me, wasn't the appropriate reply to the horn. In fact, maybe next time you could remove your head from your ass and realize that green means go and not to sit there with your thumb up your ass. Thank you.

My great uncle was 80 years old when he passed away several days ago. I had been around him off and on over the years, usually seeing him for a few hours here and there and the one time I really got to spend time with him was back in '89 when I stayed at his place for the grandest family reunion that side of the family ever had. I had really connected with his daughter and granddaughter. The granddaughter is the same age as me and when we were kids and went to Missouri, we always played together. They are in fact the nicest people I have ever met.

The service was an impromptu Southern Baptist affair. The preacher sang a couple of songs and in keeping with unwritten funeral policy, kept it about an hour. We then loaded up and traveled for about 30 minutes to my uncle's final resting place here:
    [​IMG]

I noticed some of the gravestones and remarked that the cemetary must have been around for 200 years. After the service, we found out that I was close. The cemetary was founded in 1828. It is the family cemetary of my uncle's son-in-law's family and they started it ten years after arriving in the area. My cousin talked about how his family would always find bodies in the river that runs nearby and when needed, they would bury the body in their cemetary, a lot of times without even knowing who the person was.

This kind of had my attention and my cousin related the story to me. He said that at one time, that used to be the biggest cherry tree in Missouri. The base measured out at 6'3". They had to removed the tree a few years ago after a storm came through the area.

[​IMG]

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

After the cemetary service, most of us went to my uncle's house down the road and had lunch that was made by the Baptist ladies. Now for those of you that don't know or never had the experience, around these parts, when someone passes on, there will be several people, usually from the person's church that will fix food for the family during the time of mourning and for the family after the service. This food doesn't consist of some ready to eat garbage out of the microwave, but it is straight up, good old downhome cooking. Our particular menu consisted of fried chicken (cut up and fried in the fryer), green beans, potatoe salad and some of the finest deserts on this side of the Mississippi.

We spent a little while visiting with family that I haven't seen in 15-16 years, but our time was cut way short and made me long for the days of getting to spend days with them. This is straight up, if the weather in Missouri didn't downright suck ass, I would have moved there long ago. Out of all the sides of the family I have, I enjoy spending time with those people the most.

We left and went down into Branson. It has been 17 years since I have been to Branson and that was the start of the explosion Branson had. We went down to Branson Landing and of course, we hit up Bass Pro. Pretty nice place they have there and I loved the fish tank, nothing but trout. I wanted to check out the entire area, but made it as far as The NASCAR Store due to the ass choking heat. Of course I left there pissed cause licensed merchandise pricing is a crock of crap.

We peddled around on our way back to Rogers and we stopped at Roaring River State Park, they have a trout hatchery there. This is the spring that comes out of the ground and supplies water:
    [​IMG]

I will have to say that even though I didn't feel the water, knowing the kind of temps trout live in, I was really wanting to hop in with them to escape the heat. The high was 104 and the humidity was around 51%. I was dying in it.

I caught this picture of my aunt and uncle while at the park. My uncle is the younger brother of the uncle who we buried that day and we stayed with him at his place in Rogers.
    [​IMG]

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Nice pics. Been to a few of those old time funerals myself.

Yes, that part of the country is a steam bath, I used to live down in Neosho, Missouri. My oldest brother is now living in Carthage. I was building super on the IHOP right off 71 at the Rogers/Bentonville exit.

It is unfortunate that the only times families get together in large numbers anymore, is to bury a loved one. I grew up in a family that on Christmas, we would go to grandparents houses. There would be 20-30 kids, plus parents all under one roof. You could feel the love and caring within that group. Discipline was administered by whichever parent/adult observed the transgression, no calling out the actual parents. 30 kids sleeping on the living room floor, adults yelling "Shut up and go to sleep". Damn, I miss all that.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

This night before, we hooked up with my cousin (the uncle who is in the pic, it's his son) and he showed us around some of his "projects" in Rogers. He got into the real estate game (he sold cars as does his father and they are good, and they are honest) and ended up hitting on some big stuff. Needless to say, he's rich, but just like my uncle, you would never know it just by talking to them. They are still pretty grounded. They are somewhat flashy, as I can tell you that we were riding in my cousin's Escalade. But then again, the crowd that he hangs out with and what he does, he needs to have vehicles like that.

Now the one thing to understand about most of this side of the family is that we all have a great sense of humor. Of course those that live around Rogers have to have one due to a certain person spending some quality time up that way back in the sixties.

Now as we are getting the nickel tour around, we had spotted a sign. It seems like Corey's hero had hit town and we had just missed Her Majesty just by a couple of days, damn. Anyway, we found out that her little get together had slightly less attendance than they were expecting, which is laughable at best. Now my cousin, having heard the crack about the sign, at some time had picked it up, found a Sharpie and :cough: signed :cough: the sign for my dad.
    [​IMG]

Now my dad, having been overjoyed by the gift, decided he should let the world know about it and I found the sign here:
    [​IMG]

I promptly removed the sign because it's bad enough driving across Oklahoma with it in the window, but with the accompanying Bush/Cheney sticker on the back, I really didn't feel the need to have a shoot 'em up with some inbred on the way home. Needless to say, my dad has some plans for that sign, including a display in his office.:D :D :D

By the way, if you are starting to worry, don't; by family out that way support good conservatives all the way.:D :D :D

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Once again, sir, your story telling abilities have kept me spellbound and even commenting to Jenn as I read your story. Thanks.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Good read. After recently visiting the Ozark area recently I have a new respect for the area, both Missouri and Arkansas. Hoping to go back Labor Day weekend. BTW it is a very scenic drive from Joplin down to Ft. Smith, awesome views.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yesterday, before we left, my dad and me went down to my uncle's shop to hang out with him for awhile. You see, my uncle was a car dealer after he left the service station business. Yes, I mean service station. He ran stations in the times when you pulled in, got full service and that full service was tires, windows, oil, gas and anything else.

I may have beat around the bush, but to clarify, my uncle lived through those hard times during the Depression poor as dirt. What he has now, he got by the blood, sweat and tears of working his ass off. You may not see or hear about many self made men these days, but he is one of them. His son also is one of them. They know what hard times is all about and they busted their asses to get where they are today.

Anyway, my uncle still is in the car business, even though he is retired. I think he just does it to keep from getting bored, but he's not in the dealership game anymore. His son has a lot and my uncle goes down there and works. Now this isn't any used car lot though. This place is like a three section dealer. There's used cars, which there isn't many of in the lot, and then they deal in classic cars. This is their website. As you may notice, those classic cars are not just classics, but full on frame offs and you can see that they don't deal in junk with those kinds of prices. They also do deal in junk, but it's the good stuff. It seems like when my cousin travels around, he'll look for stuff to sell. They get it, restore it and try to sell it.

Here's some pics I took at the shop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good stuff indeed. funerals in WV are pretty much the same. while its a sad time, its enjoyable at the same time.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Bastard:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D :haha:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, when you said they deal in the good stuff, you werent kidding!
    [​IMG]

edit: HOLY SCHNIKES I DIDNT REALIZE IT WAS THAT BIG! sorry, Bubba! :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

This is the shop and all the signs light up:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it's probably a fake
    [​IMG]

For the younguns, the way these pumps worked was that a person had to pump them up, and that glass bubble would fill up. The white "flags" you see inside the glass are numbered and that's how one could tell how much gas they had pumped. I believe this was a 10 gallon pump:
    [​IMG]

Real 45's in there and yes, it works. Listened to "The Battle of New Orleans" on it while we were there:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Had to go to St. Louis, MO for some business a while back. The SLPD treated us like kings. Had a great Italian meal on "The Hill" and stopped into Ted Drewes for some frozen custard too. On the way out, I really enjoyed the drive. After leaving Chicago, that part of the country was really pretty. Didn't get to see the arch, too busy, but some of our party did. Did stop into the Harley dealership for an obligatory T-shirt. Nice neck of the woods once you get out of the city.....

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Found this while my uncle was giving us the nickel tour of the stuff they haven't displayed yet. Tried to make a deal with him on it, cause I would love to replaced my light bar with one of these babies:
    [​IMG]

I wonder how many people don't have a clue what this dispensed? I think they finally started going away what, about twenty years ago? As a kid, there was nothing neater for me than going down the hardware store, dropping some change in and enjoying a cold soda in a glass bottle.

[​IMG]

The white one has a 302, the red one a 396. Needless to say, it was a good thing my wife wasn't around.:D

[​IMG]

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

And for the icing on the cake.............................................................

This thing was sitting in the back. It's listed on the site, but no price and I really wouldn't even want to guess what they are asking. The purists may scream murder since this one was clearly built to be fast. You can see the Mickey's on the back and it has NAAAAAWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...........

Even though every vehicle in there is flat f'n clean and built right, I clearly needed a crate of Trojans looking this baby over..............................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

uhhh, duhh, it says Dr. Pepper right on it:rolleyes:

and why the flip is this post 6 feet wide
    i want to read it but screw scroling back and forth that many times

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I learned on this trip that I should always keep the camera handy. There is a '70 K5 sitting on a lot in Siloam Springs I really wanted to look at just to see if it really was worth the $14,222 they are asking.

I really wanted to shot a couple today of the custom trike we saw at a stop light, then a few seconds later of the beat to hell pickup that pulled up beside it that had "I Love Pu**y" painted on the back window.

We had a blowout about 45 minutes from my house, but we were able to get the tire changed quickly and get home.

All in all, pretty nice trip, although it was too quick. Some may say it sucks that it was for going to a funeral, but one shouldn't be so sad over a someone who was able to live a full life. Going through what my uncle went through, being able to raise out of the ashes that was The Depression and raise some awesome kids and becoming someone to look up to is what to be proud of. I haven't mentioned this, but my uncle lost his arm back in the 50's and he was a farmer. He never had a lot of money, but he had the things that hill people cherish, he had family, he had his pride and he had his faith. Those things are something that people can't look down upon.

And in closing, I got my first swig of some Ozark Corn Liquor. Maybe we should look into replacing gasoline with that stuff:D

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I think because some nutbag from Indiana should disconnect from the Internet.

I forgot to give my official Bass Pro Shops scouting reports. On this trip, I officially visited the Branson location and the Broken Arrow location. The Branson one is awesome, being right on the lakefront. The BA one though, is two levels. Bad thing is there is a Starbucks inside, but it's huge. Both places put the OKC store to shame.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

To hell with the purists , they built a lot of these , and they were meant to be used .

And it looks about right , stock body lines , trim , good paint , but with a good stance and plenty of detail :bow:

19. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Beautiful......really.
    Great post Bubba. Real interesting.

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Now thats a sig line if there ever was one:haha: :haha: