Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me cage designs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jun 13, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, show me your favorite cage designs (links/pics preferred). I've got to finalize the design of mine so I can start on it soon and I'm looking for as many ideas as possible. Basically what I need is a Blazer size "family" cage. This will be my very first cage so it needs to avoid complex multi-plane bends as much as possible. I'm not completely sold on "front loop" vs. "halo" vs. "up and back" a-pillar designs. Seems like "up and back" (up the a-pillar along the cowl, bend and along the windshield post, bend and back to the b-pillar with a spreader across the dash area and the top of the windshield) is probably the easiest to get right for a bending newbie.

I also need ideas for the tail end. I'm thinking about essentially a tube outline roughly in the shape of the back of MoneyPit. Up over the tires and straight back. I'm thinking I'll then hull out the bed sides I have for the outer sheet metal and screw that into the inside of the bars. Basically keep as much of the GM lines as possible, but still be lighter, stronger, and narrower than factory. I guess it will look sort of like an exo. I'll probably decide it's too much work and just leave it open or use sheet to fill between the lines...

I've also seen some of you guys with things like cooler shelves and such on the back. I like that but, I just want a flexible design that gives me as many options as possible and keeps the weight low while being strong.

Here is my rig now. Only real difference is that it now has a rear floor made from the floor of the original bed mounted (or rather soon to be) on rubber isolators (body mounts).

Is that enough rambling for now? Maybe that will give you some idea of what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll make more sense tomorrow when I'm not so tired or in a hurry...

Any suggestions or cage building information appreciated.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

here ya go... [​IMG] I actually thought that was funny... I must be drunk.... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

ouch!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dunno the halo looks easier to me

5. No I thought that sh*t was pretty funny too!!! HA HA Later -80K20

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here's a link to pics of the cage in my truck. I know yours doesn't have a pick up body anymore but they may help. I also have a friend that is having a Sniper "like" buggy built, I think I have a couple of pics at home. If I still have them I'll post them tonight.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nvrenuf_4x4

John

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Here are some pics of my cage. I bought an S&W Cage kit, I still am not finished, but will get it done someday.

Cage Pics

8. BadDog

Thanks guys, espeicially you "mister mom" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Hehe, you asked for that, LOL. keep 'em coming.

9. BadDog

Good point MJ. I forgot to mention the one thing that had me shying away (but not discounting) the halo. It's entirely possible that I'll ditch the GM windshield. First time it gets busted, frame crushed in a roll over, whatever; it will likely be replaced with a fold down flat window. For one, it would be cheaper. For another, folding down the windshield would be nice at times. The only reason it's not "in progress" already is that I already have more than enough "in progress" and I have a perfectly good windshield and frame already in place. I'm also thinking I may try to get a tag for it (to drive on fire roads mainly and allow me to leave the tow rig in a decent place) and that requires an inspection with a DOT windshield in place.

So, the point I'm wandering around trying to make is that the halo "brow" does not look like it would lend itself well to the flip down flat windshield/frame. Hmmm, I guess I could make it fit under the brow up to the a-pillars, then the brow would offer some protection too. Hmmm, I think I just changed my mind on the halo. Thanks for making me think about it again…

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This is a page I found somewhere with lots of pics/info: http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/rollcages/
    There are several shots of mine on my site, but I would do it different next time.
    I like this one real well:[​IMG]

12. BadDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but I would do it different next time

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, I'll bite, what would you change? Thanks for the link and pic. For those that don't know, that's an example of what I was calling "up-and-back".

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The link didn't work for me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

15. BadDog

I guess that is a vote for halo? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I have considered stealing, er, copying some of your cage designs. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just not sure how to put it all together and I want to be certain before I start...

16. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

first off...how do you do that link thing with money pit...hiding the url?

what ever you decide to build...just remember your design needs to support the weight of your vehicle. a 'pretty' looking cage is no good if it wont protect you. my experience with this is the first phase of money pit, before i added the pre-runner spare carrier...the rear bars would have folded right in if i had ever rolled. now they are stiffened by the horizontal bar that ties the spare carrier in. THINK SOLID! the material you use will determine weight.

marv...that buggy looks great! what does that bad boy weigh?

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

taken from the FAQ:
    "[ url=link ] title [ /url ] = Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link."
    but don't use spaces(except in the title), and don't forget to include the "http://" part in the link.

18. BadDog

You can also use the "URL" UBB helper now.

Yeah, I'm all about function over looks and I have been keeping triangulation on my mind.

19. BadDog

Ok, I patched together enough to pull it out and get a full side pic. Any of you photochop wizards that want to take a stab at cage design, flail away.
    [​IMG]

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Man , I searched all day to find a pic of Wile E. in a cage and couldn't find one, sure would look good on the pic of your rig... And I think your rig is lookin' too cool ... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Gotta love the full top look... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif