Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me your 6.2 diesel buildups WRONG FORUM MY FAULT

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by hi pinion, Nov 15, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Who here has upgraded there 6.2 disel motor?? What all can you do to beef this motor?? how much does it cost??? Pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Show me your 6.2 diesel buildups

Also, what are some numbers i can expect to see, after the build /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. First off, wrong forum. We have a great diesel forum.

2. Nothing really more than 450 ft lbs of torque without sacraficing reliability.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

First off , move it then /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif since your a modurator /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif seconly,,,,,,,.....um....STFU /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

trusty...would you be kind enough to move this sucker for me? i never go in the deisel forum, but im going to start. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    First off , move it then /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif since your a modurator /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif seconly,,,,,,,.....um....STFU /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] First, I can't move this thread. I am the moderator for the body shop, not the garage.

Second, on many occasions you have made threads that obviously belong in a specific discussion forum, this being one of them, which obviously belongs in the diesel forum. You cannot just post whatever you like in your favorite forum at the time. There is a reason why we have 30+ forums, learn to use at least some of them. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, don't tell me to STFU, you are the one that can't manage to post in the right forums. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ooo look at you /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif But..........STFU!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will glady not mind if it moved mr stickler for the rules. Im terribly sorry. I wont happen again my lord /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Lighten up though, gawd /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. First off, wrong forum. We have a great diesel forum.

2. Nothing really more than 450 ft lbs of torque without sacraficing reliability.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can ya get 450 ft/lbs from the 6.2? we talkin about a turbo? also what does a turbo go for for a 6.2 anyway? or where do you get one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. rjfguitar

A banks sidewinder kit is around 2.5K and it has a turbo. Between a turbo charger and a turned up pump, timing, 450ft lbs probably isn't hard to reach. I don't know a whole lot about the 6.2, just that I have read in numerous mags that 450 ft lbs is about all the stock bottom end can handle and still be reliable.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    A banks sidewinder kit is around 2.5K and it has a turbo. Between a turbo charger and a turned up pump, timing, 450ft lbs probably isn't hard to reach. I don't know a whole lot about the 6.2, just that I have read in numerous mags that 450 ft lbs is about all the stock bottom end can handle and still be reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Banks 6.2 puts down over 450 at the rear wheels...and does so reliably. I wouldn't expect 700 lbs from a 6.2 but I wouldn't say 450 is the point it explodes either. EGT's are more critical than dyno numbers...

Rene

11. rjfguitar

You always like to pick at anything I ever say about anything diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifI have read in all the 4wheel drive mags that 450 is the max a 6.2 can take and still be a reliable engine and still serve a long happy life. I doubt the mags are incorrect but I could be wrong.

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have never had my crew cab dynoed Rene, but I can tell you that it does not have 450 ft lbs, but I wish it did though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tRustyK5

Tyler, you should dyno it...

Here is a dyno sheet on a Banks 6.2:

[​IMG]

172 hp and 451 lbs of torque at the rear wheels.

Rene

14. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    You always like to pick at anything I ever say about anything diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifI have read in all the 4wheel drive mags that 450 is the max a 6.2 can take and still be a reliable engine and still serve a long happy life. I doubt the mags are incorrect but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never miss an opportunity to 'slag' the 6.2...so why should I miss the opportunity to respond? It must be tough knowing your 406 doesn't put down as much torque as a NA 6.2 that's stock.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

15. BlueBlazer

Yep, I saw that, but if you look at the disclaimer at the bottom it says that the torque is multiplied because of the gearing. If you look at Banks own dyno results on their site, they say more like 380-400 range, and I am assuming that is at the flywheel /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Banks results

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats your problem. "The mags", especially ORA, which had the diesel articles that i assume you are refering too, are wrong all the time.

Like Rene said, its not the bottom end you have to worry so much about, its the EGT's. To acheive 450 ft/lbs with no intercooler makes things get hot, add an intercooler and ill bet dollars to doughnuts that it will live a long and happy life pushing over 500 ft/lbs at the flywheel, as long as you started with a healty engine with a block in good shape.

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Remember, those test results are just adding a turbo to a stock motor, with just a 1/4 turn of the fuel screw. C-code manifold with EGR in place, and timing set at factory specs.

EDIT: The Banks site says that their numbers are also from the rear wheel's. Chassis dynos arent the most acurate, especially when comparing numbers from 2 different dynos.

At least the 4wheeler Dyno numbers give good before readings, that can be better compared to factory specs. Id say that 4wheeler truck was pulling 420-430 ft/lbs at the flywheel, just by comparing their results to factory specs.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You never miss an opportunity to 'slag' the 6.2...so why should I miss the opportunity to respond? It must be tough knowing your 406 doesn't put down as much torque as a NA 6.2 that's stock...;)

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] I try not to slag the 6.2 if I can help it. My argument has always been that it is a great engine, just a low output motor that is just not designed to put out big power and usually when it comes up it gets compared to a 5.9 cummins and we all know what I think about them. I like the 6.2 and almost bought an '84 K5 with one for a ranch truck. They seem to live long and happy lives under good conditions. I would count on one to get me around with good mileage and worry free miles with moderate loads but not something I am going to kill with at the truck pulls. Or rip a 6 ton trailer up a hill at 55mph. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am perfectly happy knowing a 6.2 can make more torque (modified) than my 406 (according to your dyno sheet 272 stock is just shy of my 295 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), it's a diesel. But my 406 makes more HP a lot quicker and spins 5,500 RPM's easily. A mud hole? Give me my high revving 406 gasser. 3 axle gooseneck and my K5 loaded at nearly 6 tons gross? Give me my cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Joez's post:

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats your problem. "The mags", especially ORA, which had the diesel articles that i assume you are refering too, are wrong all the time.

Like Rene said, its not the bottom end you have to worry so much about, its the EGT's. To acheive 450 ft/lbs with no intercooler makes things get hot, add an intercooler and ill bet dollars to doughnuts that it will live a long and happy life pushing over 500 ft/lbs at the flywheel, as long as you started with a healty engine with a block in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ] I have read 450 in all of the main mags when they have done a diesel comparison and have even read it online. I would love to see a 6.2 put out a respectable say 250HP and 500 ft lbs reliably because that would really make a K5 fly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also it would help simplify motor swaps....instead of having to do a difficult cummins swap in search of big power a guy could get away with a 6.2 with those numbers. A 6.5 isn't the answer either without spending money because I have also read that their injection pumps are basicaly the same thing as the 6.2 and is only good up to 250HP without completely rebuilding it. I am talking about an used motor swap, not a Diesel Depot 300HP package swap that cost big bucks.

19. BlueBlazer

My response was directed towards Rene who said that an otherwise stock 6.2 with a Banks turbo made 450 ft lbs which I did not feel was accurate both from Banks results and my seat of the pants feel.

20. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Oh, Ok./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif