Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me your air cleaners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattcorleone, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

I want to get rid of this ugly looking stock air cleaner assembly. What are my options? I've seen some pics on here of open elements that look pretty good... what are pro and cons of this? I have a cowl hood... dunno how much fresh air comes in from that...?? I guess the stock one is made to get cool air from the grille rather than heat soaked air from around the engine? Problems with mud/dust/salt/water with open element style ones? Don't want to hurt performance but am looking for ways to clean up the engine bay. Thanks

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll give you a link to a pic of my air cleaner. Its is pretty unique. The base is formed like a velocity stack, but it flares open to a 14" diameter. With the dip in the lid I don't have to run a mile long stud for the wing nut either. I can run anywhere from a 1" to 4" tall filter and still fit it all under the hood.

Keep in mind I have no Idea who made it as it sat in my Dad's garage for years. It looks like somebody custom fabbed it a while ago. My only problem is that hitting very large puddles/creek crossings with a slight amount of speed will get enough spray or splash up to soak the element. Of coarse any open element air cleaner would have that problem. Here's the link:
    My air cleaner

Another view:
    Better pic

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i bought a cone filter kit for a 88 and up truck so it has the carb piece a piece of tubing and a cone filter. lifetime filter and i will route mine so the filter goes in the firewall.
    like $35 on ebay.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Open air cleaner certainly won't help performance if your engine can't use any extra flow.

It WILL suck in hot air and that will cost power.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Show me your air cleaners *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dual snorkel intakes were factory on older F body cars I'm pretty certain.