Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me your camping setup!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Apr 25, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I want to fix up the bed area of the Blazer for camping, mountain time, and what not. I'm debating on taking the rear seat out or not. Without it, I'd have a lot more space to do what I want. But it would be nice to haul more than myself and the boss. Did any years come with folding rear seats? Maybe a Heep seat?

I want to be able to sleep in the truck if need be. I'm 6'4", so the rear seat would definately be an issue trying to sleep in the truck. I need full time storage for trail spares, tools, hi-lift, etc. And have part time storage for camping stuff, food, water. Enough to be able to go out for at least a week or so. I'm thinking of a shelf of sorts across the whole bed at the top of the wheelwells, with 'bins' under it. I need somewhere to put the spare until I can build me a bumper carrier. Throw your ideas at me or show me what you've come up with.

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I've sleep in the back of my 90 Blazer all the time and I'm 6'3". Make sure you have a hell of a good sleeping pad or air mattress for the bed in very uncomfortable with out one due to the ribs on the floor. As far as storage goes, you gotta unload everything before you hit the sack. You could try getting a roof rack or one of those receiver storage racks if you have a trailer hitch. Not much help but something.

Dan..

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I used to put down folded cardboard shipping box (4' wide) to cover the ribs. With the carpet already there, now I just use an air mattress on CO2. If you really want to be comfortable, tow that K5 with K-Burb.:haha:

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Spent too much on the tow rig, now I can't afford a camper :haha: :doah:

[​IMG]

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've actually come to like sleeping in the front the best. Lean against the window and put my feet on the passenger seat. I've slept on the roof before, which actually works pretty well too. For some reson I have never slept well in the back. I always wake up and think someone is looking in the window. :screwy:

6. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

saw an article somewhere about a guy who used a sheet or plywood to make a sleeping platform that sat on top of the bedrails and the rear seat. he could leave his gear in the back and sleep on top of the whole mess. just an idea.

7. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking too, I saw the same article. For the life of me I can not remember where I saw it though.

8. crometooth

crometooth Registered Member

When I was a kid my dad that in his 72 blazer. Us kids slept on the plywood level and mom and dad slept on the bed floor underneath. The plywood seperated in the middle so it could be stored under the seat on the floor for the trip out. Worked pretty well until my 4 year old brother wet the bed!

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a sleeper box in the back of my suburban. Basically a wood coffin that you get into from the end. I stack all the gear on top, crawl in (2 couch pads inside) and sleep like a baby. I don't have a pic, but will try to get some later.

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Last year Moose hunting I folded down the back seat and folded out a foam mattress. I slept ontop of the seat and my buddy slept in the cargo area. Our gear was upfront. The second night I took the spare tire out and gave him some room hehe. I am 6'2" and it wasnt too bad. My major issue was I had non tinted glass then. Wake up with a hangover with your head frying like an egg from the sun shining. Now I have tinted sliding windows. Would be nice to have the plywood setup tho.

11. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

fold the seat forward and you can fit a fullsize air mattress back there. The wheel tubs kinna push up the sides but keeps ya from rollin into the sides! haha.

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

:haha:

13. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a burb so no probs here :flipoff: :D

14. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Do you NEED a back seat? I took mine out of my 71 years ago and never looked back! Inflatable mattresses are the way to go, I love mine and it fits perfect.

15. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

im 6'1 and i sleep diagonaly with the back seat in and folded up, with some gear stuffed on the lower floor to make it level and no back seat in is alot more comfortable, ever since my hard top is off for good i want to pick up one of these for when i go out without the woman, drop the tailgate and you are good
    http://www.rei.com/category/4500665.htm

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Now I'm a tool, whats the length from the backs of the front seats , to the end of the gate?

17. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

We had something similar in the back of an F-150 with a topper. Plywood boxes down the sides, with a removable "bed" that layed across the top sideways. Parents on the floor between the toolboxes, and the kids on the shelf. Under the kids "bed", there was a seat built into the front of the bed facing backwards between the toolboxes. Made a nice little spot for us on the road, rather than being crammed in the front. It worked pretty good, but there was a little more room in there.

Ya know, I probably don't really need a back seat, just would like to have it to haul buddies around. The plywood idea is kinda what I was thinking. Have it sitting about the level of the top of the wheelwells. I think that would give a lot of storage space and also that way there is room to sit up on top of it. I have a thing about hitting my head when I wake up in the morning. Having it in a few sections would be nice so that it could break down easily. Or make it more permanent with sliding drawers underneath in the back and have the middle sections fold up for access to more storage.

Those of you whose back seat folds down, is it the whole seat or just the back? I don't think mine does either, guess I need to double check that. Good ideas, keep 'em coming.

18. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

the way my seat does it is by the top foldinding forward then their are hinges on the front of the seat that lean it up against the front seats

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm 6'4'' and sleep in the back of my K5 all the time. I lost the back seat and bought some surplus rocket boxes to fill in the cutout for the rear seat. I also pulled up the carpet in the back layed down a piece of 1/4" plywood and added a bunch of carpet padding under it so it is nice and comfy. I use my K5 a lot for hunting and its real handy not to have to pitch a tent. Just pull over throw the gear out the back and I'm camping. Its also nice when it gets sub 0 and the wind is howling to beable to fire up the heater and be nice and warm while my buddys freeze their tails off in a tent.

20. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

In '85 (looking at my diagrams), it was 76.6" from the tailgate (closed, sleep in the open around here and the mosuitoes will eat you alive) to the backs of the front buckets, with no rear seat installed. My hunch is that the front seats were adjusted all the way forward tor this measurement, which was taken at bed floor level. At the belt-line, this measurement dropped to 65.6", due to the incline of the front seat-backs.

With a flip-n-fold rear seat installed, but folded forward, it's 59.8" at the seat floor and 54.4" at the belt-line.

Wheelwell to wheelwell is 50.0", wall to wall is 65.0". Diagonally, this gives a tall guy quite a bit of length.

I've only tried the rack in the back of the K5 thing once on a fishing & camping weekend. I just flipped the rear seat up/forward, electric-pumped a twin size air mattress, and unrolled a sleeping bag (diagonally). Hands down better than a little tent, especially if it gets really windy and the rain starts pouring.

You probably won't even think about sleeping right on top of a half a drum of gasoline. :haha:

A K5 is also obviously more mountain-lion and bear-resistant :yikes: than a tent, which brings me to...

Outdoorsman tip #37: If you're camping, hiking, fishing, jogging, doing nature photography, or doing whatever in big predator country, be sure and have some serious muzzle energy around, just in case. Big-bore handgun, riot gun with 00 Buck, hefty rifle, take your pick. No matter how you feel about guns and/or hunting, it might be either you or the mountain lion, and noise-makers & pepper spray don't always work. Don't forget about human predators either, the most dangerous of all. Make sure you go home in one piece. Don't be that unprepared guy in tomorrow's obituaries. If you've got someone (especially little ones) waiting back in the world, they'd be sorely disappointed to read your name there.

Back to K5 camping, I can see sleeping in the back and not having to set up and tear down a tent makes camping a lot less troublesome of a task. Ever get to a campsite and had to pitch a tent in the pouring rain? I have, everything from bivouacing in OD canvas shelter halves to setting up a 6-man cabin tent at the lake, and it's an unwelcome chore. Easier camping means I'll do more of it.

A little one-burner propane stove, a small iron skillet, a coffee pot, a CK5 mug, a couple of gallons of cheap bottled water, and you're all set. And maybe a few other things (like food, if you're not a hunt/fish/forage type), as you see fit. Anywhere you roam, where you lay your head is home, at least for the weekend.