Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me your cb antenna's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coptezr, Sep 3, 2005.

1. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

Im look for a spot to put mine i got my DIY rear bumper on but i really dont want to put them there. :D

thanks

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

mines on the roof of the cab, jus behind my sunroof. ill try to get a pic up. its about a 4' antenna, only thing is that it hits trees and such, but its no big deal. the higher up, the better the reception :D

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Mine is apparently similar to muddybuddy's, I had one on each of my light bar on the roof. One runs CB other runs stereo. Great reception for fm radio by the way. Only problem is I had to remove after my trucks last growing spert (hits the roof of my garage and carport). :crazy:

4. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

how did you mount it on your lightbar

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Most light bars have extra holes due to all the differant styles of lights there are, so I used the two outer holes with insulating washers to keep it from grounding out. Oh yes since I used fiberglass antenna's I had to put a small antenna spring on to keep from breaking them off on tree limbs and stuff.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

I bought the 90* bracket and mounted it to my rear bumper. 10' whip, big spring, and a Galaxy DX88. It would talk about 20 miles barefoot.

7. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

not a close up but this is where my antenna was when i bought the truck and its served its purpose ever since. ya it catches some trees but never done any damage.

8. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my truck had something on the roof, but im not sure what. There is a hole and a ton of scratches right at the back of the roof. Im going to be using that hole for a cb antenna. A) Because I want to, and B) because i dont want it to rust out.

9. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly where i want mine but i dont know if i should get a steel whip or a fiberglass one. i like that way your fiberglass whip looks like.

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Funny you mention this ... just doing this today. You got a roll bar?

I was thinking about welding a little plate on my cage somewhere, but I couldn't decide where... so I made a removable/adjustable mount for the antenna, will go anywhere on the cage now.

Piece of plate with four holes for U-bolts to loop around the cage, and one big hole for the antenna... voila. I didn't like how stiff the antenna was so I put a spring in it (mmm, flexy antenna! :haha:) ... when I trailer the truck I'm still gonna loosen the plate and flip it down horizontal. No reason to stress the spring.

I also notice all y'all seem to have fiberglass whips, rather than steel. Is that a rustbelt thing?

I'll be interested to see how my giant steel whip fares (it's a quarter-wave, i.e. eight and a half feet) but worst case I'll tie it down like the military CUCV's.

-- A

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg

12. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

you have any close ups? :D

13. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

thats pretty sweet but no i dont have one.

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

thats the best ive got. All it is, is the mounting bracket i got the antenna with, and i reinforced it a little and then used 3 self tapping screws.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The light bar is a great place too mount a CB antenna. I recomend a ground strap though. I have ran 102" Stainless steel whip on a heavy duty spring (pot belly) mounted on light bars. Works very well. Preformance has always been my main goal with the 2-way radio equipment.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ground is good..

I agree--the antenna in the first picture with the u-bolts on the pipe for a mount should definately be grounded better with a strap or wire..only certain fiberglass marine antennas can be used with no "ground plane"--if the ground is poor on a regular antenna,a high SWR reading will result,and it could damage output transistors in the CB..and fiberglass K5 roofs aren't grounded,dont forget.. :crazy:

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Right on the top of the cage just in front of the spare-
    [​IMG]

It's a Firestick I think. And as far as I know, cb attennas need to be mounted as high as possible with as close to 360* clearance as possible for best results. That means mounting it on the roof is the best place.

18. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

I really like how yours is mounted i wonder how 2 of them will look.

19. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, this is one of the down sides to having no roof =)) The only flat metal surface I have is the hood, and I don't want to mount the antenna to that!

So you think a a nice ground strap, from, say, the plate to something solid? (:haha: finding something solid and non-Bondo on this truck may be tough!)

-- A

20. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I mounted a 9' whip to the rear corner of my bed on the inside......works great and looks good :bow: