Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

show me your flaps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Oct 13, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i got pulled over by the local pd, and he told me that i needed to get mud flaps on the back of my k5...not sure if i really need them or if he was just having a bad day. but eaither way i figured i would look into it..

so those of you running mud flaps..how do you have them mounted, where did you get them? i looked around at parts stores and only found those small cheepy ones...and those are not gonna work..

oh an dpost up pics of your mud flaps..lets see what size you got and how you have them mounted

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I have the big dumb semi style flaps to stay legal. Mounted them to a piece
    of 1" square tubing, then took a piece of 1.25 " square tubing about 2" long
    and welded it to a flat plate and drilled 2 holes in it that bolted to the frame.
    the tubing that holds the flap slides into the one on the frame and I use a pin
    to keep them in.
    I have to remember to take them off, forgot one day and backed over one... :doah:

[​IMG]

edit: I think i paid $8.00 or so for one of the flaps, other one I found on the side of the road. The patterns don't match, but so what...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

is it illegal not to have them on...how tall does the truck have to be for it to be legal with out them...cause i really don't like mud flaps

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Join the club, brother. I hope we never have to worry about that here. :doah:

5. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here in alaska the "anti spray device" must extend down to 14" off the ground.nomatter how tall it is

6. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

My friend did similiar to what thor did. He built a "fake-bumper" that mounts into the hitch reciever. It's 16gauge steel, formed into a rectangle and capped off. it also mounts his mud flaps.

It keeps his bumper height legal and more cops don't look twice then, and also has mud flaps that are easily taken off before wheeling.

His next plan was to even add some brake lights that plug into the trailer wiring. Totally optional though. But if you have issues with your lights in your state, it may be better for you.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of it.

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

We had the same problem in the bush with the trailer mud flaps on the log trailers , backing up and removing them :doah:
    So now we just put a small hole in the bottom of the flap and use a heavy bungee cord to hold them up , out of the way (just fold them up and hold them with b.c. until there is no more problems)

Looks like this would work on your rig for those times when you did not want to remove them for some mild wheeling

Once up to the rockers in goo :dunno:

BTW that is a fun looking rig :wink1:

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my wife told me that the truck was going to be legal once it went on the road. Well we put it on the road and I had to get mudflaps... well I bought them, put them on and said I didnt like them.. she said oh well it must be legal... however once she walked ouside to look
    [​IMG]

at it she was like...

HELL NO We will pay the fine every time... :haha: :bow:

so when I went through inspection... the guy said they had to be pushed out 2" more on each side

anyhow they are now on my garage floor being used as floor mats...

I am going to make quick disconnects.. a guy showed me how he did his.. used round threaded rod.. forget size.. but there is a hole in the frame and also a hole in the wheel well on the bed... I may loose ya on this but will try not to...

take the rod say for the drivers side.... put a nut on 1 side say 2" in... you can put the rod into the frame on the other side... then put a nut on the bed side where the other nut was... then thighten them together... this makes a mounting bar that can be removed... next mount your flaps to them with u bolts... hardware stores sell small ones... so like this...

--|-------------------------------O|O

I know bad example... but on left | is the frame.. on the other side is nut, bed hole, nut

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

if the cop knows that your k5 is an SUV then you dont need flaps in cali. but a pick-up does need the flaps. SUV's dont need flaps. i got pulled over once and argued with the cop and he called it in and found out that i was right. he was kinda pissed.

10. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

haha alright...no mudflaps for me

11. sparkyincali

sparkyincali Registered Member

hey Psychoticdeadguy do you happen to know the part of the vehicle code that states this I live in the bay area too and dont wanna run flaps when I lift and would love to have a copy of the section of the code in my k5 in case I get pulled over

12. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

In cali if the tires are more than a 1/2 inch past the fender they require mud flaps......................... :doah:

13. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

Mud flaps suck I will never put flaps on anything! Arizona classifies suv's as a wagon and they do not require flaps. Trucks that are lifted do and 1 tons do also which makes no sense. I got pulled over in my lowered dually for flaps go figure that one out.

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Had em... hated em... I don't drive it on the street so I threw them away :)

Here's a pic of the truck with the 12" lift and the flaps.
    [​IMG]