Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Show me your kickpanels

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mini_mull, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Hey, just wanting to see some custom/prefab kickpanels for 73-91 type Chevy trucks. Anything you have saved, too. Also, pics of how it fits behind the emergency brake and hood lever would be cool. Go ahead and show off. Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

3. bigdave1050

bigdave1050 1/2 ton status

Here are mine in the 76 blazer (there a little dusty)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Wow, Greg, do my eyes decieve me? Did you inset that into the floorboard? That would solve any clearance issues. Anything under there to watch out for when cutting? What size speaker did you use? You're creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Dave, are those covered in vinyl? What's under the vinyl? Is the E-brake clearance close, or do you not have a functional ebrake any more? Do you have a white dog? :D

5. bigdave1050

Nope not vinal, just faberglass. My e-brake clears most of it but when pushed all the way in it hits. And yes I have an Malamute who sheads everywhere he goes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Sweet, I was planning on doing fiberglass. How big are those speakers? Malamutes are cool dogs, like big fluffy teddy bears, but they scare off the bad guys too.

7. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

wish i had your skills. they wouldnt happen to sell something like that anywhere would they??:confused:

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's for a 5" tweeter (G&S ODKD), it's angled but about 3" deep on the deep side. I put two mid-bass drivers in the bottom of each door.

The only catch is that there is a small space between the floorboard and the inner fender liner....so if you go too deep you'll need to modify the inner fenders too. Not really a problem if you've decided to go that far anyway.

The system with the tweeters down in that spot was INSANE! The imaging and staging was just amazing, and with all the power I was feeding the mids and subs, the system had great transient response. A few CK5ers got to hear it in person in Moab one year and were pretty blown away by it.

Anyway....more pics in my gallery if you want to see the rest of it.

:usaflag:

9. bigdave1050

I think Crutchfield has something similar. Also most audio shops can man one up for you. best bet is just get some fiberglass and make your own, if it turns out bad, well you can at least say you tried.:D

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I agree, once you get the hang of it, fiberglass is easy to work with, I make all my custom boxes myself, save alot of money, plus make money by making your friends boxes.

11. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

12. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=74519&PN=1

that one is okay, not strong though. every fib. box has a wood or metal backing and his is glued together. tonight or tomorrow ill post up my kick panels that i put on the lower part of my door. due to auto windows.

i do custom fib almost every day cause i work at a shop. different resin's make a big difference on ow easy it is too. and using the right fleece and getting it tight makes the finish look all different.

im sick today or else i would drive down and snap a pic real fast :-(
    i might just have to go in after all.

13. AZ79K5Project

Can you provide some basic info on fleece and glass. That was the first I have heard. Always wanted to try fib not no nerve yet.

14. skrillla

skrillla Registered Member

Me and my friend use cheap fleese for speaker box's and use angel hair fiberglass to make it stronger, looks like some people only use resin and hardener but puting actual fiberglass on makes it stronger. we have made fiberglass hoods and speaker box's that you can jump on and they wont budge, but make sure you get a roller to roll the fiberglass so their is no air bubbles in it hit me a pm if you want to know the names of the stuff i think some you can get at autozone its not too expensive.

15. AZ79K5Project

Thanks for the info.

16. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

roller is retarded, i use a brush and pat it in so to speak. here are my kick panels. pics are bad but the panels are sick. we started with a wood base. then fleeced it, then just resin it. let it sit over night and it was hard. if you use good fleece it only takes 1 coat.

i uploaded some pics. next time ill take some pics of the process cause it is hard with shapes like mine cause at first i was going to paint it.

DSC00530.JPG

DSC00532.JPG

DSC00533.JPG

DSC00531.JPG

17. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Hazy, that's just fleece and resin? Hopefully not, fleece holds little to no strengthening properties in fiberglass. You need to stiffen the shape with matting. If you wanted to retain that outer size/shape, put the additional mats on the inside. Remove the back if necessary, layer on 2-3 layers of mat, replace back.

Many people also like to go in with clay or other materials, stuffed into the crevices, to help deaden the piece.

18. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

lol, no need. fleece is just a different kitty hair fiberglass. you can coat it if you want. but if you felt how hard my panels are you would see that it doesn't need anymore coats. $1000.00 Focal K2's are going in them.

19. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I know what fleece coated with resin feels like. Too thin. :p: Look up the stregthening properties of fiberglass, you'll see the strength comes from the fibers being layed in different directions (among other reasons). Fleece material simply does not have this strength. Go ahead, use it if you want, but you have been warned. And I wont let you tell these guys is okay/appropriate, when I know for a fact its not.

Doing a little research with people who have used fiberglass extensively will show you they agree, fleece by itself is not enough. But suit yourself. *shrug* Resin soaked fleece, by itself, in one layer, is hard but brittle. Hopefully you'll never find out the hard way that I am right.

I could have gotten you a better deal on those Focals, by a long shot. But its cool, we are all impressed you spent that much cash, I guess. Heck, I remember when I only had a grand in my front stage, thought it was pretty bad ass too.

20. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

haha, like i spent retail on them. and i guess 12 years of doing audio systems on high end cars and i wont know how to do kick panels... let them take your advise then. i just did an 07[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Lotus Exige, 1960 caddy, and about to do a Ferrari 360 and Enzo. and you can bet ill post up some pics. i think i no how to do kick panels, maybe you just aren't doing it right?
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

DSC00449.JPG

DSC00460.JPG

DSC00446.JPG