Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Showing off my 454 Dyno results>>pics of graphs>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For thoes that don't know this is my new 454 board .30over about 9.3 compression, with 781 heads stuffed w/oversized stainless vavles, Thorley headers, Mallory ign., toped off with Edelbrocks MPFI setup for BBC. The engine was balanced from balancer to fly wheel/clutch assy.
    So if you take the numbers at the bottom of the graph and account for the aprox 30% drivetrain loss, I have about 400HP & 550 ft-Lbs at the crank:D :D :D :D :D :D
    Yes I am happy:D
    BTW ~ My Air/Fuel was so bad the guy said I would have burnt up my engine in about 10K max...now it is good to go:bow:

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Cam specs? :thinking:

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sure:
    Comp Cam
    Part # 11-231-3
    Goss valve lift = .505
    Duration @ 0.05:
    Intake=210 Exhaust=218
    Lobe lift:
    Intake = .297 Exhaust = .297
    Lobe Seporation = 111

The valves installed into the 781 heads are
    2.19 intake
    1.88 exhaust

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

very nice!

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Thanks for the cam specs! This sounds like a recipe for a really nice / strong, long life motor.

I've been thinking seriously about going with mpfi (actually a motor extremely similar to yours), I've been reading up on the Edelbrock and Howell kits. How do you like yours? Is it user friendly? Easily adjustable?

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats nice power at the rear wheels, and fuel injected too, saweet.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What is the difference between new/old? Just the A/F tuning or?

Nice flat torque. About 340ft lbs at 1500RPM? :)

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

nvrenuf
    The Edl. MPFI runs very well. The throttle responce is awsome.
    The hand held brick computer is not easy to get use to. I had a real hard time understanding how each change affected the other settings I made. This is the main reason I took it to be dyno tuned..I had no clue were I was at with the settings I made, even though the engine ran strong.
    The guy that tuned my EFI told me Edelbrock's computer is 'old school' and very time consuming to tune without a dyno and A/F guage. He then recomended the Holly Comander 950 (sounds like a toy my son would want hahahah). He said this EFI computer & harness from Holly is the easiest and best out there for aftermarket EFI. He said you can adjust it grid by grid(whatever that means). He said Holly makes a harness that will work with Edelbrocks MPFI harware...but it is not cheep at all and I don't want to change what I have..so I paid him to tune it and now it is a done deal. I wrote down all the settings just incase :D
    All in all it is way better than any carburator I have ever had:bow:

dyeager535
    The old is when I first got there..the first dyno run. New is how it left the shop.
    Yes the A/F change was the biggest (saved my enigne's life span) but he ran it on the dyno probly 5-6 more times making adjustments to the various settings in Edl. computer.
    Fuel Modifiers
    Spark Modifiers
    Misc. Modifiers
    Each catagory is seporated by RPM and Vacume.

I basically had him tune for WOT. He could have spent another 3hrs tuning all the ranges of RPM but I told him what I was doing with the truck..wheelin it...and so he went from there.
    But now I understand the settings a little better so all in all it was well worth the 200 bucks I spent:D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Here is the link to Holly:
    http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=92004101

This one requires a laptop, unlike the Edelbrock. But the laptop is suppose to be the easier way to tune. Eathier one takes some getting use to so wichever way you choose they are both MPFI sequential fire EFI so that is the way to go :D

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well Burt, from the sounds of it you're happy with what i built for you. I will definately come out soon and we will go for a drive. I was thinking the other day about when i finished that engine for you and it was about a year and a half ago IIRC.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Wasit? hmm ya I guess so...it was sometime around Aug-Sept in 04...then I didn't get it started until after the holidays last year...actually now that it is Feb it was 2years ago I pulled the 350 out:crazy: and 1yr ago when we FIRED IT UP!:D man how time flys by! The sad part is my life has been so busy I still only have about 400 miles on it :eek1: and 150 I just put on last week :rolleyes: hahaa
    Ohwell...just means this engine will last me a lifetime...that was the idea anyway :D

You did good Scott:bow: :D
    I guess your 18+years building engines might have something to do with it :D
    hahah
    Thanks Bro, You da man!
    Burt

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What dyno shop did you use Burt? I did my 406 out at Performance Dyno Tuning in Oakdale. I got Greg72 to come out there too.

Those guys are pretty darned good tuners, they got 40 more HP out of my motor! I am about 320HP/400-420ft lbs of torque with a 35% loss added in.

It's pretty fun watching them run your truck on the rollers isn't it.:laugh:

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup, that is the place I went to.
    Nice shop! Wish I could have it attached to my house hahahaa
    You should have seen the Camaro in there with alum. 706 block...drag car, Fn SWEET!
    Ya, watching & hearing my truck on that dyno was a real eye opener :eek1:
    Holllly Helllll that sounds GREAT...corse being inside at WOT the noise echos like crazy...Good Times!

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You butt head...why wasn't I invited???? Greg was nice enough to let me know he was going to be there.....:p:

They always have camaros down there, and really nice ones too! It's their specialty I think he said.

I loved doing the dyno runs down there, that dyno is really nice. It was cool watching him hammer on it and getting a very small puff of black smoke to roll out from the bottom of the truck on both sides and roll up the back wall.:bow: :haha: