Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shroud or no shroud

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle Strong, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

So I was wondering if I needed a shroud on my truck. I am going to install a 16 inch electric fan. One has a shroud with it, one doesn't. I am currently not running a shroud, and it get's hot when I wheel. Some people say I need one, other's have no problems without one. Thanks for your time. I know I could search for the info, but don't have the time. :o

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

You will always run cooler with a fan shroud than without except when driving at highway speed.

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

My shroud got damaged this winter so I took it completely off, it warmed up into the upper 40's this week, things thawed out and finally mud appeared, as soon as I started giving the truck a work out the temp climbed, needless to say I ordered up a dual electric fan this afternoon. Are you asking do you need one with an electric fan? The one I ordered basically covers the entire rad, but does have a shroud per say.

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I run 2 third gen camaro fans with no shroud and a 4 core rad in my 71 with no problems at all. Factory fans move WAY more air than aftermarket ones though.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shroud

Rene

6. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

So it seems like running an electric fan with a shroud is the best idea...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A shroud used with fans that already have something around the edge of the blades does little but restrict airflow at cruising speed. Shroud on the edge of the blades forces air directly through the radiator for the diameter of the fan.

A shroud MAY help by pulling air across a larger portion of the radiator, however, if the radiator is in good shape, from my experience you don't need to worry about that.

How much CFM are you talking about with that fan? Better to have more fan than needed than too little obviously, it seems many single fans aren't up to the task.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a single 16" fan seems like it'd be a little small.

i ran a high cfm 15" fan on my TA, and it liked to get hot when in traffic.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I say shround and clutch fan. Electrics can never provide enough cooling power.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I cannot agree more. The previous owner put in a single electric fan and the thing could not keep the engine cool for its life. I would be over heating when it was 15* out. :crazy: So I installed an 18in mechanical flex fan but without a shroud. My cooling problems were solved, but the radiator was too old anyway so I replaced the pissass 2 row radiator (might have been the orignal 6 cylinder radiator :crazy: ) and installed a wider, taller, 3 row core radiator. Since then I have never looked back. The engine has never been close to overheating again.
    [​IMG]

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Mechanical factory clutch fan, big HD radiator, and full (upper + lower) shroud. Whatever temp thermosat you install, that's the temp (160, 180, 195) it stays at when it warms up. Never a problem at all with overheating, no matter how hard you work it, even with AC running in stop & go traffic.

12. dyeager535

All GM cars after about what, 1990 have electric fans?

If of the right size, and the cooling system is in good shape, cooling can be just as effective either way.

Plus, for the folks that like to submerge their rigs, an electric is the only way to go.

The stock truck clutch setup does pull a ton of air, and is quite efficient, but I've yet to see anything actually stating what they move CFM-wise. Obviously enough.

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Like said above, there's no reason electric fans can't provide as much (or more) cfm/cooling capabilities than the cluth type fans. I installed a dual (15 or 16" iirc) flex-a-lite fan setup on my dad's truck, its amazing! When the fans kick on, it sounds like thrust reversers, and I can literally watch the temp gauge fall. I don't think Ive yet to hear it come on for longer than say... 10 seconds. Gonna order one of those puppies for my 73 in the next few days, and another for the chevelle later on. Only way to fly imo.

14. dyeager535

Yes, even with *one* of my stock Lx1 fans on, the temp gauge visibly heads down as you watch it. I think I timed it, something like 15 seconds to drop 10 degrees.

The key is that the radiator must be in EXCELLENT condition, and the fans have to be powerful enough to do the job.

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think that when people have trouble with electric fans on their cooling setup, it's often because they did a conversion on the cheap or with substandard hardware. Undersized or clogged up radiator, low-capacity fans and so forth.

Do it right, and it should be no problem at all.

16. xblaxermnx

xblaxermnx Registered Member

I have an 84k5 and with the stock 305, temps no prob, I rebuilt a 350, 30 over, 9.5to1 and now it runs around oh, 220?

Was thinking about going new 4 core and doing the Windstar fan trick. What do you guys think? Going to go wheeling in June-Oct in Colorado. So I dont want a cooling problem.

Also should I replace the heater core as part of the upgrade?

What temps should I expect and maintain?

:D

17. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've got a brand new 4 core radiator and run a 190* thermostat with the stock fan and mine usually runs at 210* but when it gets abouve 80* in my area it like to climb to 220*. I hope that a 14 inch 1250 cfm fan will fix it. I might have to install 2 of them. Are flex fans really that much better than stock fans?
    Oh yeah, my heater core crapped out on me the SAME day I intalled my new radiator.

18. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I don't really consider flex fans better than stock cluth type. If anything, they're probably worse, but less parts to go bad. Maybe you meant when I was referring to my father's flex-a-lite fan setup, which is not a flex-type fan, but a brand name of electric fans (and top quality imho).

19. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

How much did that flex-a-lite fan setup run? The dual electric fan setup I was contemplating will run me about $130 from Advanced Auto Parts. And did you use a thermostat wired in to run them or did you just use a switch. I was thinking about a switch because I don't need them on the highway just in town drivng and climbing over stuff.

20. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

They aren't cheap, it was right around $400. It came with its own thermastat that's super easy to set, and it dual speed (60% and 100%, although my father says its never needed to come on 100% since the day I installed and tested it). IIRC it does have a manual override switch.