Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shudder and clicking at idle - UPDATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ncbloodhound, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

When I idle at stop lights, sometimes the engine in my k5 will shudder erratically. When it shudders, I hear a clicking noise near the master cylinder. This happens more when in drive than park, and also seems to happen more the warmer it is outside (coincidence?). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Once in a while, when accelerating it will happen quite a bit, especially if it was really bad the last time it was idling.

I have replaced the dist. cap and rotor. The plugs and wires look good too. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

PS - Can't pull codes until the cable arrives to use with winaldl. Check engine light is out too.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Shudder and clicking at idle

Change the wires anyway, i had this same problem with my 94 2wd truck v-6, changed plugs, cap,rotor,fuel filter, even went so far as to replace the fuel pump thinking maybe it was low on pressure, i didn't change the wires because they "still looked good" come to find out i had a bad wire and was grounding out causing a misfire.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I heard this same "clicking" sound, found out it was the wire grounding out to the engine somewhere, it's a spark arcing causing my sound, it just sounds exactly what you are describing.

4. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

i had the same situation with the spark plug wire grounding out on my exaust manifold

5. ncbloodhound

Thanks for the responses! I will swap out the wires today and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Mike

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Make sure you postthe results. I'm chasing a simular problem. Wires are somewhat new so I didn't meter them out. I heat a nose that sounds just like the distributor shaft knocking up and down and my tach bounces.
    Did give thewires a once over but I could have missed a problem.

7. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

You might try looking at the engine when its dark outside. That way you should be able to see which wire is arcing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You might try looking at the engine when its dark outside. That way you should be able to see which wire is arcing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this very thing, he may have better luck with it, but my wires were the originals from the factory and thuss were routed down and back behind the motor, it was arching somewhere back there, all i know is i did alot of work for nuthin' but got it runnin.

9. ncbloodhound

It sounds like replacing the wires fixed the problem. 2 of them were worn through the rubber. I was in stop and go traffic today for 3 hours and never had a problem.

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif