Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shuttle Just Launched

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Jul 26, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Discovery is on its way.. say what you want about NASA, I think it's cool that people are willing to go up there, in a ship that is basically a roman candle strapped to their butts.

Godspeed, folks.

Tom

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeppers, I just got done watching it.....always cool to watch it lift off :thumb:

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

We have no tv's here at work so I just watched it al on FoxNews' live feed - very cool!! Once the ship was out of ground camera range they switch to a feed from a camera mounted on the tank, I watched long enough to see the tank / shuttle separate! I've never seen that part before - UBER COOL!! :yikes: :saweet:

God Bless & Godspeed!! :usaflag:

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The shuttle is :pimp:. I wish them a safe return.:bow:

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Am i the only one who thinks the shuttle is a stellar waste of money?
    when is the last time we have benifited from anything the shuttle has done?
    I maean a for real, every day impacted discovery that we couldent have got any other way other than the shuttle
    dont say satalite TV eaither because there is other ways to get those into orbit.
    Dont get me wrong close to 8 million punds of thrust is a sight to behold, i think they are cool, but i think they are a pretty super waste of money

6. nvrenuf

I imagine people felt the same way about the automobile when it was first introduced. The benefit from the shuttle wont be today, it will be in the future as we perfect long range travel. :thumb:

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Takes muy grande cajones to strap into that thing. :bow: :bow: :bow:

As far what's done for us, it hasn't done much in the last several launches. BUT it is paving the way for what comes next. That, I think will be a big step fwd. So I look look at it as training wheels. Gotta get thru them first.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya and than the automobile evolved, jeez the first shuttle launch was in what the early 80's? so in 20 years we have really done nothing withe the shuttle(again correct me if im wrong)
    where as the first 20 years of the automobile changed the course of our entire nation.
    so im gonna say thats not a valid argument

9. nvrenuf

I think you'll agree that the level of difficulty required is very different, therefore the rate of advancement cannot be expected to be the same.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have seen even more/greater advancements and/or accomplishments involving the shuttle and its use but I still wouldn't call it a waste.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I tend to agree to a degree. It's cool and all, but it almost feels like it just exists to fulfill some really smart people's dreams... I'm sure there are plenty of scientific benefits to landing on the moon, and the repair of hubble was a benefit to seeing into the universe, so I'm not completely on the bus that it's purposeless. But yeah, for what I imagine it must cost to execute one of these launches, it's probably a stellar waste of money...

It definately takes some sack to go up there, though. Ever since Challenger, It became clear that any trip could really be it's last, no matter how smart the people working on it are.

Damn you CK5. It's 5:10 and I just openend a banana. I never eat bananas after 3...

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Yes but at the same time, if you asked someone in 1890, if we would ever fly in the air like birds, they would have called you crazy.
    on that same token if you asked someone in 1950 if we would land on the moon, you would probally get the same response
    but we managed to do both those things, and pretty quickly to, when presented the challange.
    So where is the challange now? In my eyes the space program had been pretty stagnat, we have made very little progress in space from the 60's to today, all things considered.
    A whole crazy amount of money for very little gain IMHO

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

whats that stand for? need another seven astronaughts?

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You think it's a waste, but what you don't realize is that what you use every day has its roots in space travel. Here's a quick list to get you started:

Firefighting PPE(personal protection equipment)
    better engine lube
    lightweight materials

I could write about three pages of things the Space Program has provided for us, but it's just easier to give the link.

You'll be surprised at how many things you use every day were developed first for space travel.

NASA spinoffs

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone hear the news talking about something broke off durring the launch ??

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

YA i saw that on teh news this morning, they are saying it looks like from the pictures, kinda the same deal as the one that just blew up.
    they are dooing inspections today, and again when they dock at the space station tomorrow

16. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Nasa...

Those old 'Challanger' jokes were the best!
    "Need Another Shuttle Also"

17. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Spinning Off

That's a good link to the NASA site. the spin-offs from the space programme are all around the world. most famous i think was Teflon on frypans.
    I was lucky enough once to go to Cape Canaveral and watch a Shuttle launch a few years ago (can't remember which one, but had a female pilot) and the whole spectacle was just amazing. If you ever get the chance, GO. the sight & sound are awesome but the best bit is the ground shakes and it heads off at some speed. We could listen to the intercom on the shortwave radio and by ther time we got out of the traffic park area they had been round the world once!
    It is human nature to push the boundaries. otherwise why have NASCAR. Formula 1. or indy cars etc? the benefits filter down to the people eventually. e.g. Where did polyurathane suspension bushes come from? There must be lots of stuff used in 4x4 wheeling which can be traced indirectly or even directly to space stuff??
    Worried to hear about the stuff breaking off.
    I'm not an American but all humankind wishes the crew well and safe return. :)

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Holy crap. you're kidding, right??

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not this time.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the mention it briefly here