Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sick motor...new motor UPDATE in process of pullin motor:)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Nov 6, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

my motor is shot, number 8 and 7 cylinders have NO oil rings, and on friday it bent a pushrod:mad: , put new ones in and now it runs like i have a BIG ASS cam when in all reality its a pusswhomper stock one. LOL. guess i got a flat lifter or two as well.

anyway today i go to school showing off my rod. (great more sig material) and im talkin to everyone about my options and what i should do. when i get home from work after school, my dad and i go down to the shop bc my dad "cleaned" it...low and behold next to the parts k5 is this...http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/GMPerformanceParts/EngineShowcase/index.jsp
    im basically happier than **** right now. except when he told me my bill:( 1800, guess the axles tires are gonna sit in the yard a bit longer. (3.73 10bs yes i know still 10b but its better than 3.08s) and **** now i dont have a clue when i can afford the 36s.

any thoughts on this? i REALY wanna put a bigger cam and gear drive, but my dad is tellin me that all i can do is paint it:( .

COLOR IDEAS?!?!? just lookin for some feedback here

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

BE happy you got a new motor.:D Drive it till the warranty is lapsed on the motor,THEN start lobbying for a cam upgrade. 36s with 3.08 gears would make for a real dog on the street.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

3.73s and 36s isnt gonna be much better.

wish my dad would've done that for me when i was your age. i had to build my own. wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt January, freezing cold, and no heat in the garage. :doah:

4. broncoman6524

ya i know im really happy that hes helping me out. the way i see it...im spoiled but not horribly i mean everythign thats went wrong on the truck that wasnt my fault and kept me from driving it hes always been there to help me out and stuff..only downfall is now he OWNS me for quite some time...HMMMsell a kidney maybe?

5. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Think sperm bank :thinking: :thinking:
    A whole lot less pain, more fun, not to mention, a quicker recovery time. :pimp:

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

36's and 3.73's isn't that bad with a good motor. With that new motor and the lower gears, he'd be seeing a huge change. 3.08's to 3.73's is actually a pretty big jump. If you look at the percentage in change, that's 21% increase in gear reduction. It's comparable to going from 3.73's to 4.56's, which is a 22% increase.

7. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

lol i went from 3.08 to 4.10 with 33s on it and noticed a differnce.
    Im even getting better gas mileage on the highway.
    Wish i would of went 4.56 because pretty soon im putting 35 or 36 on so it will make it seem like i got 3.73 to begin with.
    I say if you have a 700r then go with 4.56.
    I run a 700r with 4.10, in overdrive it will cruise at 80 to 85 with very little gas.

8. broncoman6524

ive got a th400. idk im pretty excited hopefully ill get hte old one out his weekend..lots pics btw. They might just get saved and ill "put a crate 350" in my truck for my senior project. even thought its getting done now. but the judges dont need to know that...LOL

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

RPMs will still be quite a bit on the low side, personally i wouldnt try it with anything less than a TH400 with a HUGE cooler .

10. broncoman6524

are you talkin the 373s and 36's? this is what im GOING to do. i cant afford to buy gears and have them installed, adn that is one thing i REaly dont wanna try to do. lol. the gears are in a set of axles that come out of a wrecked k5 that i bought for some interior pieces and the lift...if anybody wants anythign let me know;) :whistle:

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Who me? Yeah that's what I was talking about. I ran that combo for 3 years, until just now when I switched to 1-ton axles and 39.5's. Wasn't too bad. Still wheelable with the sm465 as long as you can work a clutch. A hand throttle was a good add on for me. 3.73's are probably the strongest gears you can get in a small rear end too, IMO. With 4.10's and 4.56's the pinions start to look a little small. And the ring gear on 3.08's looks a little thin, 3.73's always seemed like a happy medium to me. They're not the best gears for rock crawling, but they worked great on the highway and OK everywhere else.

12. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Hey I need stuff! PM sent

13. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Hey Pay up! I need a tailgate window crank. bmartens3 at shaw.ca

14. broncoman6524

well im now in the process of pullin the old one out. :) damn this is a bitch by myself (17) adn ugh in exhausted i shoulda ate dinner...LOL but HOLY **** am i excited. unwrapping the motor was SOOOO Much better than christmas day. :) hahaha well all i gotta do is pull the mounts, exhaust and bolts to the tranny and it gets pulled. this is a good weekend. :):) pics to come later.