Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side exit exhaust-Fumes in the cab? Installed 3/23 w/pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevinsK5, Mar 13, 2007.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever put side exit exhaust B4 the rear tires on a K5? I was going to run turndowns off the mufflers and call it good, but after driving it that way, fumes still get in with the back window down. I want to put a pickup tailgate on, and remove the doors but leave the top on. Will side exits cure the fumes problem with the top on? Thanks, Kevin

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

well when i finish up my lift im rerouting the exhaust to exit before the rear tires.. ill let you know if noone else chimes in

3. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Don't know. I seem to remember reading on here that it's not too bad, but side exits after the tires were better...but next week I'm going to run it in front of the tires like you're thinking.

4. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

I also heard it was better behind the rear tires that is what I plan on doing and I also tried driving with my window up about 4-6" and it seemed to stop the exhaust fumes from coming in.

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

right now mine are behind the rear tires and no matter how i have the window if im accelerating i get tons of fumes.. so its going to be worse when i move the exhaust in front of the tire?

6. KevinsK5

I've been searching and that was the general consensus. I don't really want to run tailpipes, don't want to smash them on anything. Maybe the turbulence created by the tires will throw the exhaust around a little more? Or, maybe the fumes will get caught in the low pressure area as they go rearward and go right in the back.:thinking:

7. Kyle Strong

Don't know. I do know that anything's better than having no pipes out of the muffler, and having it right beneath the rear seat:doah:

8. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I have mine exiting b4 the rear tires and I like it, there are litterally no fumes in the cab. The only draw back I can see is its hella loud when you have the side windows down!! hope this helps.

9. KevinsK5

Sure does. Do you run around with the back window down? Any fumes then?

10. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

Since I've done it I hav'nt had any problems with fumes with the window down:D

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a single 3" exhaust exiting on the driver side behind the tire and with the rear window down i get exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment. My tip is angled backwars also and it still gets in.

12. Bow-Tie-Boy

Bow-Tie-Boy Registered Member

I thought the fumes were a good thing? They sure do make the trips seem shorter!:D :haha:
    Headers, cherry bombs, and.......lots of fumes. I don't run a top, ever, so sometimes in the winter the warm exhaust is a welcome warmth. Maybe that's what is wrong with me.

13. Kyle Strong

Man, it's trippy...:eek1: Really relaxing though...the headaches were the only drawbacks I could come up with!

But seriously, I think behind the tires is better, but I want it in front of the tires. Looks cooler, and I don't mind a little exhaust.

14. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

cool thanks

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My buddy bought 76 K10 shortbed back in the 80's that had pipes in front of the rear tires. I didn't think much about it until we were wheeling one day and he hung one of the pipes on a log he was climbing over. The weird thing was, it hung long enough for his rear tire to actually run over the end of the tip. Just by chance I had a chain style exhaust cutter in my toolbox and we had it crushed part cut off in no time. But, I figured right then that I wouldn't ever run my exhaust that way.

Right now mine exits in stock location behind the rear wheel. I don't get any exhaust fumes inside when I drive with the rear window open. After the lift is done, I'll be locating it up higher (as tucked up as I can anyway), in the same area.

16. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

My blazer had glasspack side pipes when I first got it, No fumes but they may as well been rock sliders as low as they sat below the rockers. Right now I've got the mufflers with turndowns located under the back seat area, get a little bit of fumes sitting at a stoplight. Definitely don't notice it all once the top & door are off, go figure:haha: My old '77 had side exit all the way behind the rear wheels, kind of angled out and down like the 68-69 camaros and sucked crazy fumes in with the back window down.

17. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

I also think alot has to do with how far out from under the truck the pipes are I think it will be better the farther you get the exhaust out from the side to kind of break the suction

18. Consciouseye

Consciouseye Registered Member

exhaust out the back

I am running dual exhaust out the back. 75 degrees today so I decide to put the back window down when I went out for lunch. I smelled like exhaust for the rest of the day and had a kinda neat headache. I was also looking into having the exhaust exit out of the side.

19. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

i have duals exiting behind rear tires... you need the air form the side of the vehicle too carry the exhaust away.. NOT into ur cab... ive doen jus t bout every exhaust option on these blazers....out the back dual and single...exhaust comes in.... short dumps underneath.. exhaust comes in... side exit right before rear tie.. was the worst one i did.. too loud, and major exhaust.... specially when idling/ wheleing really slow...

20. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard the little airfoil-wing-dam thing that some blazers have above the rear window helps cut the fumes from rolling in the back window.