Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side exit exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerplunk318, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kerplunk318

kerplunk318 Registered Member

I have a '90 and I just ordered a bunch of exhaust parts for it, including cats tips pipes and cutouts. I wanted to have the tips exit in front of the rear tires, but after looking at the car it looks like it will be a lot easier to go behind the rear tire. I'm dying to have the tips exit in front of the rear tire... it just looks so badass and its louder. If anyone has done this/knows how/has any underside pics of a blazer with this type of exhaust that would be amazing. Thanks a lot

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got em in front of the tire, but of course I have a longbed. If you dont need cats where you are, it could probably be done. Look in my webshots for pics of my exhaust.

EDIT: Just saw you need cats. It would be really tight on getting it all crammed in there. Think cat welded straight to the muffler with like 2" of pipe, and then the tip, lol.

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

It would be an inspection problem too, your entire truck is a passenger compartment so it either needs to exit out the back our out the side behind the tire. The latter is the best IMO: helps dispurse the fumes.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran mine straight out the back on my blazer and will never do it again. now I can't put the back window down. the exhaust comes right in. I like the look and had done the same on my pickup years before, but what a difference the blazer makes. go out the side behind the tires or if you can angle it out at the corners.

5. kerplunk318

I have heard this before but what about cars like the viper and the mercedes AMG G class. These have the exhaust exiting in front of the rear tire... or are filthy rich people allowed to do whatever they want. Thanks

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why is that look so liked these days? Looked like the muffler man ran out of pipe to me....:p:

7. kerplunk318

Im not gonna be running mufflers and the cats are only 13.5 inches long. You think I can make it work? anyways Im goin for it on Sunday, I'll let you know how it comes out, thanks a lot for your input - Louis

8. kerplunk318

I got the exhaust

[​IMG]
    Thats the exhaust, its the same on both sides i had someone do it for 500 bucks all i gave them is the cats. there are no mufflers its real loud but it sounds good like a truck, those tips are chrome 3.5 inch slash cut mounted with the longer part of the slash towards the back... its definately really custom i love it

9. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

if you have cut out's and you want it to be loud all you have to do is take off the plate on the cut out... nothing's louder than open header

10. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Well in federal law the exhaust on a passenger vehicle must exit the body. Doesn't matter if it is in front of the tire or behind or out the back. As long as it exits. Also by federal law if your vehicle came out with 1 catalytic converter, it must retain 1 catalytic converter. Meaning it has to "Y" into one cat and back out into single or dual's if you prefer. its under 326 IAC 13-2.1

Installing 2 converters instead of just 1 because true duals are wanted is the same as taking it off altogether according to law. So save your money.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thats being changed.. :wink1:

It's been in the works for around 1.5 years now, who knows when it will be revised officially but it's comming.

12. kerplunk318

By the way my setup passed emissions. They didnt even question the position of the tailpipes (sidepipes.) They also didn't put it on the rollers, they did a stationary test at idle and at 2500. One more question, they said that the car is unsafe to go on the rollers, is that because it is lifted? do they not test any blazers on the rollers? just curious. thanks again for everyones help.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It doesn't help. Mine ran out the corners at an angle and my buddy's run out the side in front of the tires and we both still have exhaust entry through the back window. It's just the nature of the beast, due to the truck having the aerodynamics of a brick and creating a huge low-pressure area in the back.
    They only way I've been able to keep from getting woozy is to drive with the back window completely up or the top completely off.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

We have a little runner here at work, its a 97 f-150 and the exhaust from the factory exits in front of the back right tire. The only thing I dont like about the exit in front of the rear tire on our trucks is you have to run the exhaust under the frame rail and it hangs real low.