Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side marker lights

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, Apr 12, 2002.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I'm wiring my Jimmy up right now and everthing is going pretty well, but I can't remember if the side marker lights come on with the headlights. Are the side marker lights running lights too, or just turn signals? Or are they only running lights?

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Only running lights both front and back.

3. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

My front side markers are also turn signals. The rear side markers are just markers. BTW, I have a 72 K5.

4. 72gmc-burb

72gmc-burb Registered Member

Both front and rear are markers on mine.
    It always seems that the ground (thru retaining screw) often needs attention on the side marker lights. I've had to clean mine up several times over the last decade.

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    My 71 Blazer's marker lights all come on when the lights come on.The two front one's blink when you use the turn signals.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds like you have conflicting answers. Here's an easy solution. If your pigtail coming out of the light has 3 wires or connector pins, then you have running lights, and a blinker. If it has 2 pins, you have just running lights. One wire is the ground, one is running lights, and the third, if applicable, is your signals.

7. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

The new plugs I ordered from LMC only have 2 wires coming out of them...but then a friend with a 72 pickup told me his front markers are turn signals also...I was just confused. Looks to me like I'm going to have markers.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

'71 was the first year that the front side markers blinked with the turn signals. They were still the same single filament bulb, they just go on and off with the turn signals. In other words, the lights are the same, but the wire harness is different.