Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side Mirrors on a 72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bassplayer4x4, Feb 27, 2002.

1. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

Has anyone found a solution to the side mirror issue on the 72? The stock ones are ugly with the tripod mounts and the small stock ones are too small to use...has anyone put side mirrors from a gen 2 blazer on first gens? Will they fit the contour of the door, obviously below the indention just under the window, more on the rounded part of the door itself, do those mirrors if you mount them on the rounded part of the door come up high enough to see out of. I have tried a few aftermaket replacement mirrors and they suck, they vibrate so much I can see behind me. I need some side views to keep from crushing rice rockets. Any posts or pics would be appreciated.

Phillip Bunton 72 K5 and 4Strings

But honey its cheaper than car payments!!
    72 K5 - my First First Gen -- 4 K5's to date...

2. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I haven't gotten the ones I want yet but they are off the 90's f-250s from F*rd. The fit nicely, I've seen it done and they have a large viewing area. They also have a chrome back which kinda matches the chrome we have on our trucks. The problem is price if you get them new, I think it was 275.00 a pair. Not cheap but what is.

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

3. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

do you have a picture? how large is the mirror surface area. I got a buddy who can locate used parts for me. How much drilling did you have to do?

Phillip Bunton 72 K5 and 4Strings

But honey its cheaper than car payments!!
    72 K5 - my First First Gen -- 4 K5's to date...

4. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I found this on e-bay. This may help http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html

5. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

A previous owner stuck '73 -'87 type sideview mirrors on my rig. At first, I wanted to change out to period-correct west coast jr. types, but not having an upper doorwindow frame made that difficult.There is gap under the outside door/mirror mounting base where the '67/'72 styling makes the door skin curve under the flatter plane of the later -model mount. It causes an air gap -- not critical and maybe someone with skill could figure a way to fill it in -- but unsightly. My main problem is: this product I have is probably after mkt -- JC Whitney's or Pep Boys, not OEM quality. The mounting bolts are stripping from the doorskins and the mirrors tend to "walk" back from high speed air resistance.I've gotten used to them now, the sight picture is kinda TV-like [3:4 aspect ratio] and allows you to see behind you plus one lane over. Handy for freeway self-defense. To keep cops from sneaking up my blind spots, I have one fish-eye on the drivers side outboard at the "Northwest" corner, and on the passengers side, a 3"x 4" wedge stick-on at the "Southeast" corner -- kind of a picture -in -picture effect.The same p/o also screwed on an aluminum tailgate panel from the later series with the big red GMC letters. I'm afraid to pull the panel -- I might just find (horrors!) CHEVROLET on my tailgate. J/K. The aluminum panel looked great until some bozo nailed me with a shopping cart while I was on a road trip, Oh well.A good set of later model GM mirrors from the dealer or other source might work OK and even look good if you solved the base/contour problem.They do grow on you. The old west coast jrs gave you a longshot sight picture - you could watch one or two lanes for several miles back - but the newer style mirrors have a wider angle view. It comes down to personal preferance.